Calorie intake of GOAL weight?

Options
I recently made a discovery that the only way to accurately calculate your calorie intake, is to measure what your intake would be at your GOAL weight. For instance, I am at 168 right now, and my goal weight is 130, so I would only take in the amount of calories it takes to maintain my weight if I were 130.

It made sense to me, but not sure if anyone has tried this method. I am just wondering because the calorie counting really makes me crazy :grumble:

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not, but a lot of people do: http://www.fat2fitradio.com/
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    It makes sense, in a broad sort of way, except that (1) your maintenance calorie goal for your goal weight can vary widely based on your activity level and muscle mass/body fat percentage, both of which could be very, very different than they are now, (2) your loss as you get closer to your goal weight is going to slow WAY down - that's generally a good thing and to be expected, but eating at a 50 calorie/day deficit isn't going to be productive - why not eat at more like a 250/day deficit (which is completely reasonable close to goal and like nothing to cut out of your day) and get there 5 times faster? and (3) you mention that "counting calories" is getting tiresome, but even if you employ this method you still need to count the calories, otherwise how will you know that you're actually eating your goal?

BUT, if you don't care about how fast you lose, and you are aware of the need to regularly re-evaluate what your maintenance might actually be based on muscle mass and activity level, then it's a totally and completely legit way to go about things.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about speed and hating logging. Why log for a year at tiny deficits when it's safe to lose weight faster?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I've heard this before.

Best way to find out is try it. Keep good records so you know where and how to adjust if it isn't giving you the results you expect.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was curious about which method was better, having MFP give me a lower calorie limit and eat back some exercise calories, calculate TDEE and making sure I kept to my exercise schedule, or eat what my goal weight's BMR + activities would be. When I worked it all out for my stats, I figured that the calorie limit for maintenance at my goal weight was really close to how MFP calculated me in a deficit.
    I personally find it easier using the MFP style, knowing I can eat what my body needs (1540 cal) and more when I workout, swim, or play sports :) I've also pretty much decided that I'll be counting calories well into maintenance (probably forever) to keep on track and more mindful of what I'm eating.
    Like others have mentioned, it's all about what works for you!