First Time user

Options
I just started this today. I started walking last night, walked 1 1/2 miles in 30 minutes. I really want to lose, but feel I will not. Either in a hurry to eat so I eat bad things or I just don't eat. Suggestions?

Replies

• sjoy711
    sjoy711 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hey Bpax,
    I just started too. I know what you mean - it's hard to find time to take care of yourself. Just remember that you are important! It may seem selfish, but put yourself 1st. If you take care of yourself - the rest will follow. I like the old saying "if Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". ;)
    Suggestions - for quick meals - use the microwavable steam bags from Ziplock. You can cook raw chicken and veggies in less than 5 minutes. Just throw it in the bag with a little seasoned salt and about a tablespoon of water - and you have a delicious healthy meal FAST! My husband and I use this when we get home from work and don't feel like cooking and cleaning. It's SO much better than fast food.
    Keep some 100 calorie popcorn in the cabinets instead of chips. For added flavor - spray "I can't believe it's not butter" and sprinkle a TBLSP of Parmesan Chs.
    Lite Applesauce - comes in snack size.
    Remember - if you don't buy bad food, you won't eat bad food. So shop smart!
    AND JUST DO IT!
  • angelascott919
    Options
    One of the biggest things is to not say you won't lose, you will. For the in a hurry eating, it is best to plan ahead. Plan out your meals and snacks for the next day the night before. That way you know what it is you are going to be eating and can keep it under control. I have put things in baggies so all I have to do is grab a baggie and go. If it is eating out, there are healthier choices to be made. Subway is a great option. They have many of their 6 inch subs that are lower in calories and can be a quick meal when on the run. Their veggie is one of my favorites, it is like a salad on bread so I can even eat it while driving and know that I won't break the 'calorie' bank.

Good Luck and remember to have fun.:happy:
  • Sherisys
    Options
    To avoid eating the wrong things or not eating at all, I pack my lunch and bring to work. I usually eat breakfast at my desk that I prepared at home so I won' be tempted to hit the vending machines. Get a walking partner. This is so important because when you don't feel like walking, your partner will encourage you and vice versa. Doing it alone makes is easier to fall back into your old habits. Join a group like TOPS (Take off pounds sensibly). Same premise as Watchers but cheaper. TOPS is $26 per year and $1.50 every week at weigh-in. I joined with my mother and sister and we encourage each other. Hopes this helps!
  • Casablanca911
    Options
    Hello, I'm new on here. I have to say I am feeling a little more comfortable after reading some of your messages. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this quest to get to a healthy weight. I have gained and lost so much weight over the years I was about to give up any thought of reaching my goal, when I heard about this site....so here I am on day 1.
  • Hello. I'm just getting started today so I have a long road ahead. I've lost weight before but put it back on and some. This time around is harder. I don't want to eat right though I should, I don't want to exercise though I need to. That's kind of where I am now. I just have to try harder and trust that I can become healthier with a little determination.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I just started this today. I started walking last night, walked 1 1/2 miles in 30 minutes. I really want to lose, but feel I will not. Either in a hurry to eat so I eat bad things or I just don't eat. Suggestions?

Welcome! You *can* be successful, but you have to want it and you have to be willing to work to make it happen. Try not to think that it won't happen, rather, tell yourself that it WILL, because you're determined to do what it takes to make it happen!

As far as eating, it helps to plan your meals out ahead of time (either at the begginning of the day or the night before - or even at the beginning of the week!). I often fill out my food log at the beginning of each day. It's important to eat multiple times throughout the day - a solid meal for breakfast/lunch/dinner and healthy snacks in between. You have to make yourself a priority - trust me, it's worth the time to prepare healthy foods - and there are tons of quick, healthy options available! Make sure you have plenty of healthy food available in your house that you can grab and go with, if need be. Eliminate the need to eat bad choices because nothing good is available. Good luck!