Lifting weights...oh wow!

Options
13»

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I just started a new lifting routine this week. I was doing T25 for the precious few weeks and found it got very boring and repetitive. I have a bowflex system and treadmill so now I lift 3 times a week, and do cardio 3 times a week with sundays being a pure rest day. That and staying within my calorie count I have lost pounds as well as inches. Won't go back to workout dvd's now!
  • johnnybwaiting
    Options
    If you want to use weight lifting to drop the fat, start with basics and work the biggest muscles of your body.
    your quads, gluts, back.
    squats and squat variations are the best for beginning.
    Start with air squats, add a barbell or even a stick once you become comfortable with your form.
    then gradually add weight , lunges, leg presses all are good.
    the biggest goal is increasing the density of those large muscle and get them burning more calories even at rest.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    If you want to use weight lifting to drop the fat, start with basics and work the biggest muscles of your body.
    your quads, gluts, back.
    squats and squat variations are the best for beginning.
    Start with air squats, add a barbell or even a stick once you become comfortable with your form.
    then gradually add weight , lunges, leg presses all are good.
    the biggest goal is increasing the density of those large muscle and get them burning more calories even at rest.

Thank you! Those are good suggestions.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    A trainer at the gym was talking to me last night and said that he wished he could get more ladies lifting... too many of them think it turns you into someone with huge muscles and really bulky. He's not sure how to convince them that its not going to happen!

Every night I go lifting I walk home from the gym with a grin on my face... and the times I hit a PB, that grin is a huge smile :)
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    PICKING *kitten* UP AND PUTTING IT DOWN AND *kitten*!!!!111

^This!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Well done! Bet you didn't "get bulky" either.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It's addictive!!!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you'll be this excited when you get your first injury.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I swim, bike and run, plus do weights. I recently found a new modality ... the rower. It is technically a cardio exercise, but there are lots of additional benefits as you can see on this website.http://www.detroitboatclubcrew.com/programs-all-indoor-rowing.htm

If you can swim, use swim as cardio as you engage a lot of muscles in that exercise as well.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Can you do this without a gym membership/personal trainer? I wouldnt know where to start
  • Rebeccas2323
    Rebeccas2323 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try "Starting Strength" by Mark Ripatow, It's a good place to start and get's you comfortable with all the standard lifts...it also introduces you to lifting culture.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    I wonder if you'll be this excited when you get your first injury.

That's why I stressed the importance of learning proper form with a knowledgeable trainer and/or videos.

Life is dangerous. Running outdoors is dangerous. Jogging on a treadmill is dangerous. Every moment of every day we are exposed to all kinds of risks for injuries. Does that mean we stop living? No, you do things as safely as possible and you keep working toward your goals.
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Can you do this without a gym membership/personal trainer? I wouldnt know where to start

Yes you can. I love this website www.stumptuous.com She has videos on proper form. also, Rachel Cosgrove and her husband Alwyn osgrove, have websites that teach you what you need to know about lifting and nutrition. They are the authors of New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a fairly cheap book with a 6 month training program. It's very good.
  • I wonder if you'll be this excited when you get your first injury.
    If you're careful and you "follow the rules", you won't. I've been lifting weights for over a year now and never had any problem.
    I repost my PDF file if anyone wants to follow my first routine ever ( http://www.scribd.com/doc/187766964/workout-routine )
    Also, Phaedra is right. Check out some videos of the exercises you've picked so that you do them right. And yes! Life's dangerous. That's why it's fun! :)
  • PixieAdele
    PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great that you find something you enjoy, I personally started strong lifts 5x5 a couple of months ago but really didn't like what it was doing to my body, so I've gone back to the stuff that helped me lose my bit of podge in the first place, elliptical and jogging. I guess it's just finding something that works for you
  • Phaedra2014
    Options
    Great that you find something you enjoy, I personally started strong lifts 5x5 a couple of months ago but really didn't like what it was doing to my body, so I've gone back to the stuff that helped me lose my bit of podge in the first place, elliptical and jogging. I guess it's just finding something that works for you

I just like that we're here sharing what works for us and makes us stronger. As long as we're moving, feeding ourselves nutritiously, and living healthier lives, it's all good :smile: