Weighing salad dressing

Options
smc864
smc864 Posts: 570 Member
I've searched the forums but haven't found a satisfactory answer, so forgive me if this thread has been done before. My salad dressing says that 30 mL is one serving but I would like to know how much that would be in grams so that I can weigh it and be more accurate.

I know that 1 mL of water = 1g but I don't think that I can use that for the dressing. Any suggestions?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You could use a converter...like this one:

http://calculator-converter.com/converter_ml_to_g_milliliters_to_grams_calculator.php

And if 1mL = 1 gram...then why would it somehow be different for salad dressing? 1 ml is 1 mL and 1g is 1 g regardless if it is water, dressing or syrup.
  • smc864
    Options

http://calculator-converter.com/converter_ml_to_g_milliliters_to_grams_calculator.php

And if 1mL = 1 gram...then why would it somehow be different for salad dressing? 1 ml is 1 mL and 1g is 1 g regardless if it is water, dressing or syrup.

Thanks for the calculator... and because of density differences. The more dense something is the more 1 mL of it would weigh. I would assume salad dressing has a higher density than water. Maybe it's not enough to make a huge difference but just wanted to know what other people do to log dressing.
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

I'm singing a horse is a horse of course of course.

: )

I'm just glad you're cute.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Buy some disposable portion cups so you know. That's what I do! Actually I sell them but can't post a link for obvious reasons. What an eye opener in keeping portion sizes correct!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Thanks for the calculator... and because of density differences. The more dense something is the more 1 mL of it would weigh. I would assume salad dressing has a higher density than water. Maybe it's not enough to make a huge difference but just wanted to know what other people do to log dressing.

What is your salad dressing?
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options

Because milliliters are a measurement of volume while grams are a measurement of weight. So if the density of the salad dressing is different than that of water, there will be a difference in weight even if volume is identical. It probably wouldn't amount to much difference, but for accuracy an online conversion calculator would work.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    1 mL = 1 gram when we're talking things like water, but it's different for different things because the density is different.

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Milliliters-(Ml)-to-Grams
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    You guys are right. Oops. :embarassed: :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Or so you'd like to think :tongue:
  • smc864
    Options
    I went on their website and they had the serving size listed in grams. Yay!

In this case 30mL = 31g

Now I feel a little silly worrying about it. I'm a perfectionist, what can I say? :bigsmile:
  • smc864
    Options

Me too :bigsmile:
  • AZ_Gato
    Options

In this case 30mL = 31g

Now I feel a little silly worrying about it. I'm a perfectionist, what can I say? :bigsmile:

On noez...not 1ML!

2sb7cjn.gif
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    just give up the dressing :-)
  • smc864
    Options
    just give up the dressing :-)

Why would I do that? If I want to eat one serving of Hidden Valley Light Ranch on some raw spinach I think I will.

Typically I eat my salads without dressing if I cooked chicken to have with it, but I was a little lazy tonight and didn't feel like it.
  • smc864
    Options

In this case 30mL = 31g

On noez...not 1ML!

2sb7cjn.gif

Please don't envy my dedication to accurate logging...

It's arduous and tedious but worth it in the end.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Most of the salad dressing I buy lists serving size in tablespoons, which is very convenient because I have measuring spoons. I'm surprised that a dressing would be listed as a metric measurement if sold in the U.S. Of course, if you are somewhere else, I'm thinking that there are metric measuring spoons that people use. Yes?
  • AZ_Gato
    Options

In this case 30mL = 31g

On noez...not 1ML!

2sb7cjn.gif

Yes, you are correct. I will support you in sickness and in health.
  • almostplenty
    almostplenty Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Almost all nutrition labels I notice list serving sizes in both measures of volume (tbsp, ml) and mass (grams). My salad dressing does anyway: "Serving size= 2 tbsp (30g)"
  • smc864
    Options
    Almost all nutrition labels I notice list serving sizes in both measures of volume (tbsp, ml) and mass (grams). My salad dressing does anyway: "Serving size= 2 tbsp (30g)"

For some reason my dressing just had "Serving size = 2 tbsp (30mL)"

The same goes for my coffee creamer :sad:
  • smc864
    Options

In this case 30mL = 31g

On noez...not 1ML!

2sb7cjn.gif

Yes, you are correct. I will support you in sickness and in health.

That's more like it. :wink: