How to burn more calories

Options
2»

Replies

• markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I'd be wary of MFP calorie burns until you get a HRM ..

Lots tend to think they are working out much more vigorously that they really are, it sure feels like they are putting lots of effort in.. but in reality people tend to over estimate what they are burning.. especially when it comes to static bikes , elipticals and zumba
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Today I did 45 minutes interval training on my bike. I rode as hard as I could, pushed a big gear for 2minutes then 'rested' with fast RPM for 2 minutes in a light gear. According to MFP calorie charts, I burned 315 measly calories! Seriously, a drop in the bucket. I probably ate at least 600 for dinner alone.

How can I burn more calories in my 45-60 minute work out time allowance?

Hi OP,

Don't feel bad about your calorie burn - I ran for 40 minutes this morning (with my HRM), with an average HR of 141, burned 305 cals, and I was pretty happy with that. I am 44 y/o, 5 ft 4in, and 117 lbs. If your stats are not too different to mine, then that seems about right.

Definitely get a HRM - they are awesome for increasing your confidence about what you have actually burned during exercise.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My hubby, who just joined MFP, is getting me a HRM for my birdhday which is in a short 28 days. Now all I have to decide is what color to get!

Happy day-after turkey day.