What is your weakness?

is there anything in particular food/exercie wise which is really hampering your progress?

Mine is alcholhol, usually beer but it can really be any type. I USED to drink everyday but can now find myself going 6-7 days without a drink but then I revert back to binge drinking again. Its only night and it never effects my work (I work at night and never drink until I have finished) and it doesn't control my life but it hampers my progress here. A night drinking obviously ads calroies, I eat crap food when drunk (peanuts and crisps etc...) and I find it hard to get up in the morning to go and exercise, so although I say it doesn't contril my life, it secerely hampers it.

Am I an alcholic? I don't know, I don't think so as I can go without but I ilke a drink and I like to get drunk. It is an issue though or I wouldn't be typing this now, I read news paper articles the other day that actually claimed alchohol does not lead to weight gain (there had been extensive 10 year studies or something) but I don't buy in to that, if it contains calories and you go over you will gain right? No matter where the calories come from,.

And looking down at my beer gut and being 124kg at 183cm tall (male) I obviously have to sort this out. I have my good days and I no longer drink every day but I still think I could do better. Could I quit? I don't know. Should I quit? probably.

Any advice would be aprreciated and anyone wanting to share their demons may do so.

Cheers.

Replies

• In my opinion (for whatever that is worth) if you get drunk every time you drink, there might be a problem. Since you are not at the age where this is common,you should take a long hard look at making some changes. Alcohol can cause way more serious health problems than weight gain.

My vice is peanutbutter fudge. I only make it at Christmas but I will eat it until it is gone. I have NO control when it comes to that.
  • billymacintosh
    billymacintosh Posts: 71 Member
    is there anything in particular food/exercie wise which is really hampering your progress?

Mine is alcholhol, usually beer but it can really be any type. I USED to drink everyday but can now find myself going 6-7 days without a drink but then I revert back to binge drinking again. Its only night and it never effects my work (I work at night and never drink until I have finished) and it doesn't control my life but it hampers my progress here. A night drinking obviously ads calroies, I eat crap food when drunk (peanuts and crisps etc...) and I find it hard to get up in the morning to go and exercise, so although I say it doesn't contril my life, it secerely hampers it.

Am I an alcholic? I don't know, I don't think so as I can go without but I ilke a drink and I like to get drunk. It is an issue though or I wouldn't be typing this now, I read news paper articles the other day that actually claimed alchohol does not lead to weight gain (there had been extensive 10 year studies or something) but I don't buy in to that, if it contains calories and you go over you will gain right? No matter where the calories come from,.

And looking down at my beer gut and being 124kg at 183cm tall (male) I obviously have to sort this out. I have my good days and I no longer drink every day but I still think I could do better. Could I quit? I don't know. Should I quit? probably.

Any advice would be aprreciated and anyone wanting to share their demons may do so.

Cheers.

In my experience alcohol has played a big part in gaining pounds that combined with the foods I want to eat when I've had a drink and the foods I feel I need when I have a hangover! Like you I can do without alcohol but when I do drink I have a tendency to go overboard. Alcoholism doesn't just constitute having a life that's become unmanageable. That said it's important to be mindful of the long term effects and I'm not judging you like lots of people I have probably just hope that consequences won't come to pass! That said cutting it out or moderating has meant I have felt healthier than I have in ages. Sometimes it's better to consider complete anstinence if moderation is something that you cannot do and some people find it harder than others. It might be an idea to seek some help and support to encourage you along your way, it doesn't make you weak just corageous in accepting that you may have an issue there.
    Good luck to you :) x
  • wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Hmmm....... I too drink till I'm drunk when I do drink. What keeps me from drinking regularly is shame. I am ashamed before my family and friends for this behavior. Also, I am older now and it takes me 2 days to recover. Ugh....
    I can't have just one. I'm better off having NONE. I don't want to be the one drinking water while everyone else is partaking, but, I think of what a jerk I feel like the next day. Yeah, the calories don't help. What scares me too is the permanent changes alcohol makes in your brain. Research that and maybe something will click. ?
  • is there anything in particular food/exercie wise which is really hampering your progress?

Cheers.

I got told your an alcoholic if you can not go without alcohol. Honestly 6 days isn't a lot at all, if you feel you HAVE to drink alcohol then there may be an issue. It sounds like you binge drink which can do more damage to your body other than weight gain and yes alcohol can make you gain weight..

For me it's fast food, if someone even mentions a Chinese I'll be having a craving until I have one and then I'll feel awful Before I decided to change I was eating 2-4 takeaways a week....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Sweets for me. But yes, at 200 calories a beer, it adds up...
  • Edensienna
    Edensienna Posts: 180 Member
    I love beer too but have cut back since I began this weightless journey.

I like a bottle or two at the weekends to relax. I appreciate it now that its limited.

Find a low calorie beer and fit it into your calorie allowances when you want to indulge :)
  • Semt3x
    Semt3x Posts: 23
    Distractions mostly, dieting i find moderately easy but getting the work in gym wise i find hard with outside distractions
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    wine and cheese
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    NUTS. I can't have them in the house because I CAN NOT just eat a 1 ounce portion. I am so good and faithful about weighing/measuring all other portions, but nuts just get a hold of me and within a few days I've eaten the entire tin/can/jar. I had an especially crazy high-call volume day (Paramedic here.) and missed meal times, and was starving. When the crew stopped at the convenience store to pick up a snack (only option at the time) my best option was nuts. I finished off the whole can in 3 days! UGH!!!!! Admittedly it wasn't the worst thing, but man, I have no self-control around the darned things! :embarassed:
  • Red wine!