Help with macros

Options
Hi guys

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I eat a clean diet and have just started to take my diet more seriously tracking my macros. Now according to all my figure eg bmr, activity level, grams per body weigh etc I should be consuming around 50g of fat per day. I've only been tracking for a week now and my fat is always over. I'm building muscle ( obviously gaining weight) so my diet is very 'meathead' based :-) - lots of protein. My fat intake always comes out about the 80g mark.
Example of things I'm eating - approximate fat in grams as I know everyone has different types/ inputs etc
Breakfast 3 eggs - 18 g
Snacks - 25g almonds - 14g
Snack - Peanut butter with fruit - 10 g
Then with a small amount of cheese, fruit, veg and chicken it all adds up to around 80g.
Right/ wrong/ too much?
Any input or advice would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks have a lot of fat in them. You can try to eat just the egg whites.

If that's not enough, cut out some peanut butter.

If you can get close to your goal (lets say you get 55g), then I would just keep it there and not stress it.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi guys

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. I eat a clean diet and have just started to take my diet more seriously tracking my macros. Now according to all my figure eg bmr, activity level, grams per body weigh etc I should be consuming around 50g of fat per day. I've only been tracking for a week now and my fat is always over. I'm building muscle ( obviously gaining weight) so my diet is very 'meathead' based :-) - lots of protein. My fat intake always comes out about the 80g mark.
    Example of things I'm eating - approximate fat in grams as I know everyone has different types/ inputs etc
    Breakfast 3 eggs - 18 g
    Snacks - 25g almonds - 14g
    Snack - Peanut butter with fruit - 10 g
    Then with a small amount of cheese, fruit, veg and chicken it all adds up to around 80g.
    Right/ wrong/ too much?
    Any input or advice would be great.

Thanks
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Your diet can and should be high in saturated fat (GOOD fat that is) The amount depends on how many calories you are consuming. 80 grams is 720 calories
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how many cals do you eat? what % is the fat out of all your macros? I aim for 70g of fat on 1800 cals, which is about 35% i think, and it hasnt stopped me losing any bodyfat.

if you're bulking then food high in fat is just a good way of reaching your calorie goal with less actual food as high fat foods are calorie dense for a small amount.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious to know what statistics you are using specifically to come up with your number, but odds are you want about .45g per lb of bodyweight of fat per day, 1-1.5g of protein per lb of lean body mass, and fill the rest with carbs. Carbs are a little less easily stored as fat while eating in a surplus, so if you're really trying to do a lean bulk, that's going to be the way to go.
  • Semt3x
    Semt3x Posts: 23
    Options
    Similar problems for me when i started tracking mate, so heres my insight for what its worth,
    (I aim for 65 fats per day) and all this is proper basic advice but ya never know

Depending what your doing with eggs, do you really need the yolk? i tend to keep one yolk to 3 egg whites and the taste isnt all that bad at all to be honest,
    and i swapped out most steak and red meats for turkey and chicken to keep fats down,
    i also buy the lowest fat cheese i can so i can get more in my meals with less fat
    with you saying 'meat head' diet keep an eye on protein bars etc pre packed ones in particular, maybe make your own?
    and last you said snacking on almonds, why? i only really use nuts when my fat levels are low, so maybe leave them out to bring your fat up and replace the calories with carbs, thats what id do
  • Drums718
    Options
    Skip the peanut butter snack and try some kashi go lean cereal. 1 gram of fat per serving and a ton of protein and tastes good as a mofo. If you want to preserve carbs, you could try it with almond milk or skim or 1% milk. If the carbs or too high in that cereal for you, you could try some low fat granola cereal as well. Fat free cottage cheese works. Yogurt is another option and they have protein as well.

The thing is, usually when bulking or trying to gain muscle, the macros don't matter quite as much as when you are cutting so if you are over sometimes with your macros sometimes, I wouldn't stress over it. Just monitor your progress in the mirror and on the scale To gain muscle, you will gain a little fat. As long as you are in a calorie surplus and are working hard in the gym with the weights, you will gain muscle.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Take out the saturated fats when possible and keep the unsaturated ones, such as nuts. I don't know why another user posted that it is the opposite because this is what I've always learned and read. Maybe they're confused because MFP doesn't give a number goal for these fats. For example, take out two of your egg yolks and add any number of egg whites instead. This will also help keep your cholesterol from getting out of control.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I think macros work better when you think of them as a range rather than a set number. For example 50-70g.
    Maybe try replacing some of the meat based protein with lowfat dairy or beans or something.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    There is virtually no evidence that dietary cholesterol contributes to bad blood cholesterol levels.
  • Skippy1842
    Skippy1842 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 2300 calories a day
  • Skippy1842
    Options
    My protein is 1g x lb
    Fat is .4g
    Carb makes up the rest. I'm adding 2/300 calories per day, have a 'cheat meal' Sunday lunchtime then fast 24 hours after. My calorie intake is calculated for a gain of .5 kg a week with that calories surplus
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Best suggestion is to look up and join the ETP group....EAT TRAIN PROGRESS. You will really get some true and useful knowledge out of it. Good luck.
  • allopathicJ
    allopathicJ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My advice, go on iifym.com, go to the calculator and plug in your stats. It'll give you a daily calories and macro intake. Make sure to fit your macros. The general consensus is to go higher carb on workout days (330g for me) and higher fats on rest days (100-130g). If you don't like the iifym calculators, look up the iF calculator.
  • Skippy1842
    Options
    Thanks guys

Jaxxie- I've never heard of those groups so will give it a look

AllopathicJ - I have done that and those were the stats that came out. I'm not using the recommended mfp stats.
    I was quite surprised at the fat content In my diet tbh
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    If you're in a deficit, your macros are less important. Most of those calculators have you in a slight deficit on rest days or just at maintenance, and at that point, there's little reason NOT to keep your dietary fat high. Fat is good for you. ;)
  • Skippy1842
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm not in deficit at the moment. I'm currently having a break from supplements but was thinking of adding in 2x protein shakes a day just to bump it up a bit more
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Sorry why is it important to keep fat down? I have around 70-80g fat a day, maintaining (losing inches, not kgs) and weightlifting.

Explain?