Pregnant calorie intake?

Options
So I just found out I'm expecting my surprise #2.

I still want to keep my weight down as much as possible but don't know the calorie intake I should be following. I'm only 5 weeks but I'm already more hungry than normal.

I don't see a doc for a while yet...

Replies

• xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Congratulations.I'm sure you'll do great, I would ask your dr. what he/she thinks your caloric intake should be and let him know that you've been dieting and what you'd like to see happen. Congrats again.:flowerforyou:

K just read the last part about not seeing the dr. for a while. I'm not too sure, in the begining of all my pregnancies I lost alot of weight around 10-12lbs each time so my doc upped my calories lot's, I didn't gain a pound until I was about 4-5months. I ate like crazy too. I would defenitly up the calories, your body is gonna need the extra energy, especially in the begining. If your eating 1200 right now maybe go with 1500-1800...that is just what I would do if I were in your situation. Try not to worry about losing weight, just about growing a healthy baby, which you can do healthaly (sp?) Good luck mama!!
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I would call your Dr. and ask. I had been losing weight and then got pregnant. While I was nowhere near a goal weight of any kind, my Dr. advised me to keep my calorie intake the same (it was 1800 at the time and I weighed 204). I did so, gained a bunch anyway - not to discourage you, it's just how my body is. Keep in mind that your job is to grow a healthy baby, not continue weight loss. But really, call the office and ask the nurse....they know you. Happy preganancy!!!
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find you the link, but I recall it's an extra 500 calories in the 1st trimester, 600 calories in the 2nd and 700-800 in the 3rd. Don't quote me. Still looking for the link though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find you the link, but I recall it's an extra 500 calories in the 1st trimester, 600 calories in the 2nd and 700-800 in the 3rd. Don't quote me. Still looking for the link though.

My wife is 7 months pregnant and the doctor said to put on 2-3 pounds every 4 weeks so to gain 2 in 4 weeks would be 1/2 pound per week 250-400 extra calories. She also suggested to eat 200-300 extra calories as you don't need more than that.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's a new doctor so I don't know that I could just call and ask them without knowing my weight and whatnot?

I'm 173 and when I had my first child, I started out at 167 and got up to 214. I'm reallyyyyyy trying to stay under 200. I was also a gestational diabetic last time. :grumble:

I'm trying to eat a little better this time. :laugh:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congrats!!! :flowerforyou:

I had gestational diabetes with all three of mine. Each time was progressively worse, although I ate progressively better. I gained 62 pounds, 43 pounds and the last time, only gained 30 pounds (still trying to lose it, 5 yrs later!!, thanks to my age). But I also had to self-inject insulin the last time. What worked well was staying away from salt and sweets and to be as active as possible. Alhough I didn't count calories, I've heard it recommended that a pregnant woman only needs to eat 300 more calories a day.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Congrats!!! :flowerforyou:

I had gestational diabetes with all three of mine. Each time was progressively worse, although I ate progressively better. I gained 62 pounds, 43 pounds and the last time, only gained 30 pounds (still trying to lose it, 5 yrs later!!, thanks to my age). But I also had to self-inject insulin the last time. What worked well was staying away from salt and sweets and to be as active as possible. Alhough I didn't count calories, I've heard it recommended that a pregnant woman only needs to eat 300 more calories a day.

Thanks stormie! I'm only 5 weeks along and my appetite is already killing me. I never had to do insulin but I was regularily in the 180's-200's. Thanks again!