MyFitnessPal tells me I'm consuming to few Cals

2»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    You have a decent amount of weigh to lose, and so a larger deficit is not necessarily terrible in the short run. However, very low calories can cause a bunch of issues including, but not limited to:

- consuming insufficient protein (and food) to mitigate the risk of muscle loss
    - consuming insufficient fats for hormonal balance (low fat = low testosterone btw)
    - can lead to binges
    - can lead to low energy which can = lower maintenance which = lower deficit
    - can lead to insufficient micronutrients
    - can lead to insufficient fiber for healthy GI (and for good micronutrient absorption)
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    I'm the first to say don't eat if you aren't hungry, but if that's how it's going EVERY DAMN DAY, then you need to look at your hunger queues and go see your doctor as you have bigger issues. Will there be a day here or there where I got under 1500 or so and possibly get that warning? Sure, but if I get it more than 2 days in the same week I know something isn't right with my eating habits.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    While there is nothing sacred about 1200 calories....it really isn't appropriate for everyone. And 600 to 800 isn't appropriate for ANYone, much less a guy. Your body can't function properly at that level, and before long will start to tell you so, if it hasn't already by not giving you hunger cues. Please do a little reading on nutrition and healthy eating. There's no need to starve yourself to lose weight--EVER. You aren't being punished. In fact, you can eat better than you ever have before.
    I don't think you're at the point of an eating disorder yet, but you can probably see it from there. Please take care of yourself. You owe it to yourself to treat your body well, its the only one you get.
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Looking at your food diary (if it is accurate) you are basically starving yourself. As a 19 year old male you should be eating way more then 600-800 a day. Eating such small amount of calories s will have all sorts of unwanted consequences. Yes you will lose fat, but you will also lose muscle, its likely to mess up your hormones, leave you with no energy and generally feeling like crap If you do reach your weight goal’s your going to look unhealthy and feel unhealthy.

However if I had to put money on it I would bet you cannot sustain eating at such a crazy low level.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Hunger cues aren't necessarily trustworthy. Once you regularly under-eat you stop feeling hungry, which is why anorexics report that they aren't hungry even as they are wasting away.

Use your brain, not your stomach, to determine your energy requirements.

You may know more about this than I, but according to Marya Hornbacher who is a recovered anorexic who wrote "Wasted" anorexics will tell you they are not hungry, but they are lying. They are out of their minds ravenous all the time. For what it's worth.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Hunger cues aren't necessarily trustworthy. Once you regularly under-eat you stop feeling hungry, which is why anorexics report that they aren't hungry even as they are wasting away.

Use your brain, not your stomach, to determine your energy requirements.

You may know more about this than I, but according to Marya Hornbacher who is a recovered anorexic who wrote "Wasted" anorexics will tell you they are not hungry, but they are lying. They are out of their minds ravenous all the time. For what it's worth.

That may be true. I can't find my original source (and it's been a long time since I read that) just a bunch of anecdotal evidence from recovering anorexics and people who do various types of fasting. :flowerforyou:
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Anorexics will bounce between both states because their hormones are that dysfunctional. Some moments they won't feel hunger while other times they'll be ravenous but ignore it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Anorexics will bounce between both states because their hormones are that dysfunctional. Some moments they won't feel hunger while other times they'll be ravenous but ignore it.

Sources?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Well, if you eat under 1200 calories daily, MFP suggests it is too low. 1200 is too low, IMHO, but 1200 is the absolute minimum MFP suggests. If you're not hungry after eating calories that won't even cover your BMR, then fine. It's your health you're putting in the firing line.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    It tells you that because you are consuming too few cals. :flowerforyou:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Your protein set point looks scary low! Should equate to 1.5 grams per kg of lean body mass to maintain muscle at current level. You will need more if doing strenuous exercises.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    have a basis of at least 1200. When I id this, I wan't losing... I bumped it to 1350 and the loss started...
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Surely you can't be doing any exercise with so little fuel. Also eating more frequently/regularly will help your appetite.

Perhaps start planning your meals (they don't need to be big), add in a little exercise and this will help to kick start your metabolism, and your body will reward you by having more energy and making you feel great!!

I am a 32 y/o female who NEEDS 1800 - 2000 cals a day just to stay sane (yes I need to earn some of that).. but still losing..
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    19 year old males should eat more than you are eating. All of them. Always. No exceptions. The end.