Any ideas for using up my vegetables?

Options
JamiesMummyX
JamiesMummyX Posts: 37 Member
I have a big cabbage, a whole cauliflower, a whole broccoli and about 5/6 parsnips sitting in my fridge waiting to be eaten.

It's shopping day tomorrow but may go on Saturday instead, which means I need to get these eaten/cooked/frozen or they'll end up in the bin as my fruit & veg box comes on Saturdays too.

Any ideas other than the boring chicken & veg?

Also, I have blueberries - I've never had blueberries before, all I know is blueberry muffins! Any ideas for how or what these should be eaten with? Pancakes?

Replies

• JamiesMummyX
    Options
    Oh, I forgot we're a family of 2 adults 1 toddler. I've a ton of carrots to use too.

And do alot of home cooking from scratch so plenty of oils, sauces, herbs, baking products and such.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    soup?

Plus Ottolenghi's book 'Plenty' does a nice saffron roasted cauliflower. Cabbage seems t keep forever so maybe keep it until you have a plan?
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1. I'd roast them besides the cabbage of course. Toss in EVOO and spices ( I like garlic and pepper flakes or sometimes I do balsamic ). Bake in oven.

2. Cabbage - there's cabbage rolls or cabbage soup.

3. Stir fry them
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Freeze blueberries dry,that means just freeze with nothing added. You can use them frozen in yogurt,cereal or a fruit salad.
    Cauliflower florets can be roasted in oven,lots of on line recipes.You can roast or freeze parsnips. You could also use them,along with cabbage...all kinds of veggies to make soup.Slice carrots ,add to soup. Carrots are amazing when roasted.Fried cabbage with onion & sausage.Yum
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Oh this is a tasty cabbage recipe:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/kalyns-stuffed-cabbage-casserole.html

You can peruse her site for other recipes too
  • JamiesMummyX
    Options
    Thanks all, for some reason I can never get soup to come out right! Either to thick, to watery (usually that one) or tasteless. So soup is off my menu. But I'll take a look at the others, thank you!

Got lunch to do for just me and LO, dinner for the 3 of us and lunch and dinner for 3 tomorrow too. So 4 different things to try and should use it up easily!