Calculating from a food scale into calories

Options
So I purchased a food scale that gives me Onces and grams however Iam not sure not how to break that down into calories for my log, can someone help...it is probably simple but it is not clear to me...I weight pasta lets say and get 2.o oz how do I know how many calories it is etc,....any advice would be helpful and appreciated..

Replies

• aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Calorie count should be on the box or in MFP database.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Use the MFP Database. Most items are already there or you can add them if they're not. Find the item on the list and then adjust the amount to what you've weighed. The calories will be calculated automatically.
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    Thank you very much ladies...yes very simple tool..I didn't even know was there...lol
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Always use the calories on the packet over ones on the MFP database if you can. The database can be out of date for some foods.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Always use the calories on the packet over ones on the MFP database if you can. The database can be out of date for some foods.

Good point. Always best to check the packaging vs the database. Also, for things like fruits and vegetables look for the entries that don't have an asterisk next to them. These have been input by the good people at MFP so fairly trustworthy!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Also, if you have something like a fresh vegetable or a piece of meat from a butcher that does not have nutritional information on the package, make sure that when you search for the item in the database, look for an entry that has been provided by MFP itself, not a user. The user-submitted entries have asterisks next to them, whereas something provided by MFP does not, and usually reads as something like "Broccoli - Raw, "Broccoli - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt" or "Butter - Salted" or "Eggs - Whole, raw." The MFP entries usually let you enter the amount of a food in cups or grams, and sometimes ounces. They tend to be more accurate than user-submitted entries.

But if you're looking for a food that only has user-entered nutritional info (I run into this a lot with things like quinoa), try adding "USDA" to your search terms. That way, if anyone has entered the USDA nutritional info, you can see it. You can also look a food item's USDA nutritional info up yourself here, to either enter it into your own list of foods or to confirm what has been already entered: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Remember how many grams it is.

Go to MFP. Check the database for the item you just weighed. Make sure the calories are correct, if not, correct it or add it to the database if it's not there. Check what a serving size is. Then divide your grams by whatever the serving size is in grams (if it's 1oz, divide by 28). Enter that number.

Example - you just weighed 14g of cheese. It's in the database at 28g (1oz) a serving. 14/28 is 0.5, so enter 0.5 of 28g. Then it does the calculation for you.
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    Also, if you have something like a fresh vegetable or a piece of meat from a butcher that does not have nutritional information on the package, make sure that when you search for the item in the database, look for an entry that has been provided by MFP itself, not a user. The user-submitted entries have asterisks next to them, whereas something provided by MFP does not, and usually reads as something like "Broccoli - Raw, "Broccoli - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt" or "Butter - Salted" or "Eggs - Whole, raw." The MFP entries usually let you enter the amount of a food in cups or grams, and sometimes ounces. They tend to be more accurate than user-submitted entries.

But if you're looking for a food that only has user-entered nutritional info (I run into this a lot with things like quinoa), try adding "USDA" to your search terms. That way, if anyone has entered the USDA nutritional info, you can see it. You can also look a food item's USDA nutritional info up yourself here, to either enter it into your own list of foods or to confirm what has been already entered: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Good to know Ty very much....I didn't realize that either about the astricks
  • CHRISTTY33
    Options
    Weigh your food. Remember how many grams it is.

Go to MFP. Check the database for the item you just weighed. Make sure the calories are correct, if not, correct it or add it to the database if it's not there. Check what a serving size is. Then divide your grams by whatever the serving size is in grams (if it's 1oz, divide by 28). Enter that number.

Example - you just weighed 14g of cheese. It's in the database at 28g (1oz) a serving. 14/28 is 0.5, so enter 0.5 of 28g. Then it does the calculation for you.

Yes, I will do that...all I see is weight your food, weight your food for accuracy and then I was like.? Now what so Ty all