Could I be allergic to my sweat? (I know, TMI)

Options
I recently started doing a 'bootcamp' style workout. I really like it, and it certainly makes me work up a good sweat. I've developed an itchy, red rash, on my legs, its especially bad around my knees. I noticed last night while I was working out that my workout pants are clingier in that area. Should I change to working out in shorts? Would that help?

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I would try working out in shorts for sure. It could be the material chaffing.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Try the shorts. Heat rash is a real thing so it could just be that.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    You're not allergic to sweat, more than likely the chaffing or the particular fabric you choose to wear. Try changing to a different fabric or purchase an anti chaffing balm, they can be purchased by stick or gel as you prefer. I personally use Coconut oil in the raw, natural, smells good, and works like a charm.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    some kinds of eczema are exacerbated by sweat, if conditions like eczema, asthma etc run in your family, that's another possibility.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I recently started doing a 'bootcamp' style workout. I really like it, and it certainly makes me work up a good sweat. I've developed an itchy, red rash, on my legs, its especially bad around my knees. I noticed last night while I was working out that my workout pants are clingier in that area. Should I change to working out in shorts? Would that help?
    It's more than likely a heat rash. Train in shorts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I'd better get on the search for some good workout shorts.:smile: