How Did You Stop Dieting

Options
I know that one should diet they should eat healthy instead. I have to say that that's easier said than done. I currently am dealing with binge eating disorder and I've realized that it came from me dieting. I know that in order for me to stop binge eating I have to stop dieting, but how? Where do I start, is it okay to continue to count calories? How did you stop dieting?

Replies

• bump
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "healthy" to get results. I say when restricting calories try to keeping it 80% whole foods and 20% for whatever, becuase whole foods will keep you more full for longer so that you wont be grumpy and hungry all the time.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Keep counting calories, replace caloric dense foods with more filling, nutritious alternatives. Instead of having pasta as my sides, I had salad with a good tasting ginger sesame dressing instead. Instead of fatty meats layered in sauce, I had chicken breast with good seasoning instead. Take it one food at a time.

Continue counting your calories when you make these changes. Eventually you'll find room in your daily caloric goal to put in things that you really enjoy every day. Like ice cream or a Kit Kat. Whatever your vice may be.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I understand that there is a school of thought that believes to lose weight you just have to eat healthy and not count calories. For myself, I disagree, there are plenty of people who feel they eat healthy, yet struggle with their weight and with overeating. I find it more sustainable to count calories and not deprive myself of any foods I love. If I know I'm having ice cream for dessert, I'm able to turn down that lunch time donut. And it doesn't feel like a diet. I have ice cream everyday and have lost 125lbs in 16 months.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I know that one should diet they should eat healthy instead. I have to say that that's easier said than done. I currently am dealing with binge eating disorder and I've realized that it came from me dieting. I know that in order for me to stop binge eating I have to stop dieting, but how? Where do I start, is it okay to continue to count calories? How did you stop dieting?

You're asking this on a board full of people who are dieting!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    One should eat healthy within a defined calorie range which will either ensure a maintenance of a certain weight or be at a deficit which will result in a gradual weight loss. One will not necessarily maintain or lose weight by merely ingesting foods deemed to be healthy.
  • lovemuffin6
    Options
    From what I've read about BED it's not enough to stop with calorie counting and strict dieting, its the whole mindset you have to get out of. I suggest not trying to lose any weight for several months at least, really focusing on developing a more healthy attitude to your body and food in general. And then maybe incorporate some of these ideas for a healthier lifestyle, I think one of the healthiest habits to have is finding a sport you enjoy that doesn't seem like a chore. The people I see who are fit without being obsessive about it run/swim/ play tennis because they like it, not to burn calories.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I understand that there is a school of thought that believes to lose weight you just have to eat healthy and not count calories. For myself, I disagree, there are plenty of people who feel they eat healthy, yet struggle with their weight and with overeating. I find it more sustainable to count calories and not deprive myself of any foods I love. If I know I'm having ice cream for dessert, I'm able to turn down that lunch time donut. And it doesn't feel like a diet. I have ice cream everyday and have lost 125lbs in 16 months.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://impruvism.com/flexible-dieting-basics/

This.