Really good salad recipes?

Options
Wildstorms
Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
I love salads, but need some variety. I like lots of flavour and crunch. I don't have many calories in a day (overweight, but petite, so sticking to 1200)

Thanks!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,660 Member
    Options
    A couple of personal favourites:

Cooked quinoa, shelled edamame (cook from frozen), tomatoes, chopped sun dried tomatoes, classic balsamic vinaigrette.

Green salad, thinly sliced rare seared beef, dressing of one part hazelnuit oil+one part soy sauce+one part balsamic vinegar.

Green salad, rocket, a crumble of blue cheese, halved seedless grapes, toasted walnuts with a vinaigrette with mustard and honey.

Alistair Little's Salade Nicoise: http://caveskitchen.com/?p=579

Not a salad, but soupe au pistou is low calorie, vegetable based and totally deliciousl: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/23025/soupe+au+pistou
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    bump..

I like ribbons of cucumber & carrot with diced pepper, toasted sesame seeds, toasted sesame oil, mirin, rice vinegar and soy sauce.
    I also like cooked quinoa/bulghar wheat/wholegrain giant couscous with pretty much anything...usually chopped pepper, cucumber, sometimes beetroot, shaved carrot toasted pine buts and cranberries with a homemade dressing of balsamic or honey mustard. Add beans e.g. adzuki beans for a more filling meal/more protein. Oh and tomato salad (diced skinless tomatoes, parsley, mint, olive oil) with fish dishes is nice.
  • Wildstorms
    Options
    Thank you. These are more adventurous than mine. (Chopped crunchy veg, small mount of tasty cheese, and dressing. Usually with some salmon or chicken).
  • mortuseon
    Options
    Salmon!! If only my budget could warrant it.
  • Wildstorms
    Options
    I'm in the uk: sainsburys 'basics' range - all the off cuts/ irregular sized pieces. Not as pretty, but much cheaper. Would never buy the 'proper' stuff. :D
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Buy bag of salad. Use scissors, cut bag. Put contents inside salad bowl. Pour salad dressing. Toss.

Best I've ever had.
  • mortuseon
    Options
    I'm in the uk: sainsburys 'basics' range - all the off cuts/ irregular sized pieces. Not as pretty, but much cheaper. Would never buy the 'proper' stuff. :D

I didn't know there was Sainsbury's Basics salmon. You have just made my day a hell of a lot better.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options

You beat me to it! This is a great link. :)