Has anyone ever ordered glasses online?

Options
2»

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Glasses have gotten so expensive that I've been considering it as well. I'll probably go that way but will make sure they have a very good airtight return policy, no questions asked and no sort of restocking or other fee.

I think for a very simple prescription, it would be hard for them to go wrong. But if it's more complicated and needs tints like mine do, it might or might not be the best choice. Sometimes you can't beat going local. But if it's a matter of having glasses or not having them, there's only one answer.
  • texerus
    texerus Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have done the same but from Canadian companies. I only wear them 10% of the time and contacts 90% of the time. Since a prescription is only valid for one year and I often don’t routinely go to the eye doctor once a year Canada does not require a prescription for U.S.A residents I find it ideal and cheaper. You just need to give the specifications for either contacts or glasses.

Another thing worth mentioning, the eye doctor will assume you will buy their high priced items and I have found many people feel pressured to ask for their prescription. I always tell them it is your money and your prescription. They have to give it to you. If they try to make you feel intimidated, find another doctor next time.

Good advice.

http://www.contactsexpress.ca I believe

I'm in Canada too - which Canadian company do you have success with, if you don't mind my asking?
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, especially with progressives - you need to be measured up to get the correct centration otherwise it's just pot luck if everything will even be sitting in the right place in relation to your eyes to work as they should. I'm an optical assistant and have seen so many remakes on internet buys, particularly with progressives. The fit of the frame and tilt of the lens are important factors, and these are all things you can't get buying online, sorry!

Edited to add: you need more than just a PD measurement with progressive lenses and the measurements are individual to the frame once fitted on you if done properly - you might get lucky, but then again you might not, and if you've not worn progressives before, getting an ill-measured pair is going to make adaptation potentially much harder than it already can be.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Don't do it, especially with progressives - you need to be measured up to get the correct centration otherwise it's just pot luck if everything will even be sitting in the right place in relation to your eyes to work as they should. I'm an optical assistant and have seen so many remakes on internet buys, particularly with progressives. The fit of the frame and tilt of the lens are important factors, and these are all things you can't get buying online, sorry!

Edited to add: you need more than just a PD measurement with progressive lenses and the measurements are individual to the frame once fitted on you if done properly - you might get lucky, but then again you might not, and if you've not worn progressives before, getting an ill-measured pair is going to make adaptation potentially much harder than it already can be.

If you had a single, simple prescription, you may be able to go for an online purchase, but progressive lenses have a lot of variables you need to get right. If you can find the exact frame online that you tried on, have your PD measurements, and the height on the lens where your pupils actually look through, and are able to get the glasses properly adjusted somewhere, it may be doable, but it seems very improbable to me. Theres a reason they are more expensive, a lot of work and technology goes into it. Some cheaper options could be to buy a frame for much cheaper and bring them to a store that will fit lenses into pre-purchased frames, or asking the store if they have package deals. Generally the frames are no-name or store brand, the lenses come pre-coated, meaning you cannot choose which coatings you want it is a scratch and glare resistant coating that is inferior to the regular stock lens coating, but still fairly decent. Either way will only save you a couple hundred dollars because the money really is in the lenses.
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options

That's what the woman at the optical place said - she said that the places online get it wrong too many times, and with progressives, there are even more opportunities to get it wrong.

On the other hand, $100 vs. $1,000 - sheesh, if I buy 10 pairs online and one pair turns out okay, I've still spend the same amount of money.

Hubby said buy the pair online and if I don't like them, go back to the optical place.
  • adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Been working in retail optical labs for 13 years and feel duty bound to make glasses correctly :smile: As other's have said, you can try. If they don't work, they don't work. It's not the end of the world and I am sure they have a return policy. You need a PD(distance between your eyes)and a seg ht. (the placement of the progressive channel, usually center of the pupil to the bottom of the frame). They need you wearing the frame to get this measurement in a precise fashion. Not sure how one would do that online unless you take the frame you choose with you to a retail chain. They may charge you a measurement fee or something. Most places will adjust the glasses for free if they are not comfortable when you get them.

My concern is if your eye wanders like you said, you may have been prescribed Prism, which is more in depth than even just typical progressives and more important to get correct if your dr is trying to get your eyes to work together as you suggest.. If you go online, have them double checked at your drs. office for sure.

Honestly, there are cheaper prices out there than the one you were quoted. As a first time wearer it might be less hassle not do it online the first time, so you have a physical place to go back to if you are having questions or issues. You may feel they don't work but be unable to get an answer as to why they are not working from an online source. Once you get used to glasses in general then online could help you out maybe.
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Been working in retail optical labs for 13 years and feel duty bound to make glasses correctly :smile: As other's have said, you can try. If they don't work, they don't work. It's not the end of the world and I am sure they have a return policy. You need a PD(distance between your eyes)and a seg ht. (the placement of the progressive channel, usually center of the pupil to the bottom of the frame). They need you wearing the frame to get this measurement in a precise fashion. Not sure how one would do that online unless you take the frame you choose with you to a retail chain. They may charge you a measurement fee or something. Most places will adjust the glasses for free if they are not comfortable when you get them.

My concern is if your eye wanders like you said, you may have been prescribed Prism, which is more in depth than even just typical progressives and more important to get correct if your dr is trying to get your eyes to work together as you suggest.. If you go online, have them double checked at your drs. office for sure.

Honestly, there are cheaper prices out there than the one you were quoted. As a first time wearer it might be less hassle not do it online the first time, so you have a physical place to go back to if you are having questions or issues. You may feel they don't work but be unable to get an answer as to why they are not working from an online source. Once you get used to glasses in general then online could help you out maybe.

Yes, I do believe I'm getting the prism thing. Thank you for the advice to shop around the storefronts - I figured $989 was probably the price.

Of course, it would shave some off the price if the glasses weren't designer label and so darned smashing-looking on me!