Lost my Spaghetti Squash Virginity, BUT...

Options
But it came out nothing like spaghetti in consistency - when I removed it from the oven and ran a fork over it, the whole lot just scooped out in a mashed ball. Tasted lovely and I wasn't doing it as a spaghetti subsitute so not fussed, I was just expecting the visual miracle I've seen in countless posts on here. My thoughts are that the squash was probably a little over-ripe - when I scooped out the middle the spaghetti strands were semi forming and the squash was already a little soft so maybe the hour in the oven took it beyond spaghettifying, who knows! Is this what I did wrong do people think?

Replies

• laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes, you only need to cook them for 30-35 minutes in the oven.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It never tastes like nor has the texture of spaghetti.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Despite the name and the constant hype - spaghetti squash does not taste nor "seem like" spaghetti. I love eating spaghetti squash, but it isn't pasta (in taste, texture, or consistency). It's just squash.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You will get different texture each time, I have never been able to get the same outcome consistently.

Here's an alternative: make zucchini spaghetti. Much more consistent product and delicious.

Check this out: http://www.everydaymaven.com/2013/how-to-make-zucchini-noodles/
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It never tastes like nor has the texture of spaghetti.

its true it has the consistency of squash fibers
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Throw enough sauce on it, and I don't care.

Mantra for life.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It tastes more like zucchini than anything to me. Being on the undercooked side makes it stay together better.