Barre Fitness

Options
Anyone ever tried barre fitness classes? I've just discovered a studio near me and am considering checking it out, but I don't know anyone who's ever done it before, so if anyone has any advice/recommendations/thoughts/comments/opinions, I would appreciate it!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is advice, a recommendation, or an opinion, but I would:

1. Stop asking about it.
    2. Call them and schedule a trial class (it's probably free)
    3. Attend the trial class
    4. Come back and report to us how it went.

Over the years I've found that to be a very effective way to see if something is for me.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's basically a lot of isometric work and holds. and since it's supposed to be similar to ballet, you cant make ugly faces while you do it, so you have to look happy to hold that chair pose while standing on the balls of your feet :laugh:

i took a few classes and it was a good workout
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Ha! I have to make faces to keep on doing my ballet. It's so hard!

Ballet workouts are awesome. Lifting your leg and holding (and lifting more parts while holding that) really builds strength. It's not all legs and glutes, either. Low back gets hit hard once you can lift high, and the core work to lift legs and keep balance is great. If cambres are included, upper spinal muscle strength gets thrown in.

If you have knee problems, be warned that billions of plies may be a big issue. I usually releve instead of plie (or keep my standing leg straight), but folks may not feel comfortable modifying in a class like that as opposed to a yoga class.

I've never taken that exact class, btw. I don't know exactly what's included. Good luck and give it a shot! If it kicks your butt the first time, just do every other rep and don't lift high at all. Don't hurt yourself, because the DOMS can be pretty bad with ballet stuff.
  • CarrieOntheRun
    CarrieOntheRun Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend Barre, I took 10 classes every other day, and it kick-started this whole weight-loss and fitness regimen I'm on.
    After the first 5 classes I could see results, and by the tenth class I went from a size 14 pants to size 12! Don't want to sound like an infomercial but Barre is a really challenging and great workout. Love it.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks guys! I will be attending a free class next week, but wanted to know what to expect.