Nutritionists and doctors success statistics

Options
Looking for some real data from nutritionists and doctors who treat patients for weight loss and obesity. Is there any nutritionist or doctor out there who can provide REAL RELIABLE statistical data on the outcome of THEIR patients? What I see often is them telling a story through a hand-selected group of patients, where they proudly show before and after pictures, strutting like a peacock "see how well my diet works!" While they do not provide us with the % successful outcome of ALL their patients. And I would also like to see the statistics showing success after +5 years from start of weight loss, and not within the year of start in order to truly demonstrate success and sustained results.

Imagine if a company like, say, Boeing could get away without any reliable data. Imagine if Boeing could brag about 5% of their airplanes flying well, while the other 95% crashing and burning. They wouldn't be in business long, would they? Nutritionists and doctors are not held to this scrutiny when it comes to dieting. I'd love to know if someone actually tracks the successful outcome of ALL their clients and publicizes the data for all to see?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're going to find any weight loss doctors hanging around this forum. What specific info are you looking for, or just stats by doctor? I think if you're looking for success rates for specific methods, you might be able to find some of that, like for HCG or gastric bypass, for example. You'll probably have to go do some googling, though. Here's an article about results of lap band, for example. Consider the sources when you're out on the 'free internet'. Like you said, a weight loss clinic will be likely to exaggerate success. WebMD is probably more objective. Mayo Clinic has objective info, too.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/news/20110321/study-poor-results-from-lap-band-surgery
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    It is not worthwhile to assume that a nutritionist will work with a large sample size for 5 years and "publish" absolutely all their results to show how good or bad they are. The evidence of working with a good nutritionist to help with either weight loss or improved health can be found anywhere. It is up to the client to make the correct decisions.

Why should any nutritionist even work with someone who continues to eat McDonalds or Burker King 3 times a day, 7 days a week when he or she has specifically been told by the nutritionist to reduce their intake of, eg saturated fat by 30%? It would be a lost cause and if it were me I would tell them client either to improve their eating habits or risk ischaemic heart disease.

It appears that you are looking for something that does not exist.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Nutrionists and doctors do not build planes nor do they build your body. They give you guidelines.

You decide if you follow them. You decide if you will reach success. There is no miracle diet. Any diet work if you are consistent with it. But look at it and consider is you can consistently only eat grapefruit or whatever diet you are considering for the rest of your life.

Your attitude that somehow doctors or nutritions provide the plane that you are going to fly is false. Not only are you the pilot but you are the machanic, flight instructor, designer and control tower of your own destiny. At best, docs and nutritionist give you some of the language and guidelines but even the skill sets of success are yours to make.

Take both hands roll-up your sleaves and build your own flight. And be consistent.
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Nutrionists and doctors do not build planes nor do they build your body. They give you guidelines.

You decide if you follow them. You decide if you will reach success. There is no miracle diet. Any diet work if you are consistent with it. But look at it and consider is you can consistently only eat grapefruit or whatever diet you are considering for the rest of your life.

Your attitude that somehow doctors or nutritions provide the plane that you are going to fly is false. Not only are you the pilot but you are the machanic, flight instructor, designer and control tower of your own destiny. At best, docs and nutritionist give you some of the language and guidelines but even the skill sets of success are yours to make.

Take both hands roll-up your sleaves and build your own flight. And be consistent.

Yeah, doctors and nutritionists are not even a little bit the same as a pilot. Your fate is entirely in the hands of the person who built the plane and the person flying it. But all a doc or nutritionist can do is recommend a diet or treatment. It is up to you to follow through.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    ah the nutritionist/ Dr's stats will only be as good as the patients willingness to stick with the plan. The Dr doesn't lose the weight the patient does...... You have to do the work to lose the weight, no one else can do it for you.

Well you could join one of those programs where they send you all your food (but you would still have to be willing to follow the program and stick with it) and when you stopped you would most probs gain back some of the weight because you haven't learnt how to eat
  • allshebe
    allshebe Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The bottom line is that is is pretty well proven that extremely restrictive diets do not work long term for most people, because the restriction is not sustainable. Sooner or later you get cravings and "fall off the wagon". Regardless of the diet plan, most people gain the weight back in a year or two, and sometimes end up heavier than they started. The "only" secret to long term weight loss is to pick a "diet" and exercise plan that you can follow for the rest of your life. Generally this involves increasing your exercise a "little" from where you begin and pretty much always involves a "moderate" decrease in calories (you can lose weight if you eat only 100 calories less per day than you burn - but the results will be pretty slow to see). I'm not even sure that surgical interventions work long term, unless you change your attitude about food and eating, because if you continue to eat the "wrong" things (calorically dense foods with minimal nutritional value), you will not lose weight or gain it back
    <http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/features/weight-loss-surgery-long-term-results&gt;
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Just as I thought - it is slim pickins when it comes to finding empirical evidence of efficacy. I ask this because there are SOOOO many types of versions of diet plans - it's really ridiculous. Someone told me about the "woman's health initiative" which tracked thousands of women on a low fat diet. It totally bombed, showing those on low fat diet did worse than others not on the diet. Is anyone paying attention to the statistics?