Building Muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Ahem...you just posted this in another thread:

I'm 5'0 and 95 pounds, and 21 years old. I'm in the process of gaining some muscle and recovering from Bulimia.
    I have a small weight, but my waist is 23" and my hips/busts are 31. I do have an hourglass figure. My legs aren't fat, but they are the majority of my weight, lol. All of the muscle I have is in my legs. :-)
    I'm currently working on my confidence. blushing But I want honest opinions! :) Is my body type cute or is it the type that you'd avoid if possible? Don't be sensitive with me, be truthful. Thank you! flowerforyou heart

^^^^^ This is exactly what I mean about get back to the doctors. If you can't pour your milk on your cereal and you are posting this, you need more help than we can offer.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    When I had bulimia eons ago (and only for 2-3 years), I did have to avoid thinking about body perfection and all of that sort of thing to be able to stop, yes. I agree with that.

OTOH, since a goal is to pour her own milk, I can support that wholeheartedly. Get stronger. Eat to feed the muscles. That idea works for me to offer suggestions, as long as her thoughts are on strength and ability. It sounds like she's focused on both.I agree that the 'ideal body' thoughts need to go right now; I had to say F it on that part to begin to heal, yes.

To get stronger, I agree with yoga, bodyweight exercises, and even those pink dumbbells :) That's what they are perfect for, lol. When my bad back first tanked, my physio had me using tiny dumbbells and building up from there. If it's at all possible to go to a physical therapist, that would be awesome, imho. Even just to go for the consultation/evaluation and the next app't or 2 to get the plan they have for you. You don't have to do all the things with them every week if you can't afford it out of pocket, etc.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Firstly, well done for wanting to beat this and get better/stronger/healthier.

Regarding your nutrition, if you are that weak, you really need to be working with a professional to ensure that you get your calories up in an appropriate way (severely underweight people have special circumstances) as well as working with a professional to deal with the underlying issues that caused you to have an eating disorder in the first place.

When you are strong enough, then you can look into gradually incorporating some resistance exercises (You Are Your Own Gym is a good resource for body weight exercises). However, for now, I would strongly recommend working with your support team to get you to a point where you are not at such a low weight and strength level.

Good luck.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just eat right, walk, live life. Save the weights, exercises for later down the road. You'll gain muscle just eating properly for now. Very best of luck, let us know how you get on!

Great advice...you don't want to start with too many changes, get used to eating properly, with that you will feel stronger and then you can start to workout.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Firstly, well done for wanting to beat this and get better/stronger/healthier.

Regarding your nutrition, if you are that weak, you really need to be working with a professional to ensure that you get your calories up in an appropriate way (severely underweight people have special circumstances) as well as working with a professional to deal with the underlying issues that caused you to have an eating disorder in the first place.

When you are strong enough, then you can look into gradually incorporating some resistance exercises (You Are Your Own Gym is a good resource for body weight exercises). However, for now, I would strongly recommend working with your support team to get you to a point where you are not at such a low weight and strength level.

Good luck.

QFT

I think You Are Your Own Gym would be a great place for you to start once you are ready.

Best of luck :flowerforyou: