Bored of dieting, cal counting and exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Ed, I just wanted to say your post brought a tear to my eye. Good work, and I wish you continued success.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's easier to be a lump.

Lumpiness is comfortable. And the real epidemic is that it is very easy to just stay lumpy.

I chose activities that overall I enjoy and create goals that I enjoy. Moving a weight back and forth is really not that exciting. But being able to lift my body and control it in new ways? bam. pow.

dreadmill for 30 minutes? Not a goal unto itself. But preparation to ride up Mount Ventoux or across Iowa or from Paris to Munich?

Choose goals that make you dream. Meet and exceed them. And yeah, intially you have to fake it to make it. But you get better and then you go places you didn't know you could. Strong habits form succcess.

Or just stay lumpy.

Yes. Very easy to stay lumpy. When you are ready to lose weight - you will. It will be your driving force. It will mean getting up and doing what you NEED to do EVERY day. When you're ready for the hard work & reward - you will do it, too.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have a plan for seeing whether I can stand on my own two feet now ... I am a normal weight now and the rest is just for vanity really

Last week I put myself on maintenance calories for my goal weight. I try to eat slightly below that, but I want to get used to want portions I should really be eating.

After Christmas I'll see how I am doing with this and whether I could move to logging every other day perhaps to wean myself off slowly. I do need to keep track of my sodium (don't have enough of it) and my iron (my body has too much of it), but perhaps it is not necessary to do it every day.

I read somewhere that people on maintenance should weigh their food once a week to keep on track with their portion sizes and I always thought that that was a good idea :-)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a mild deficit and do some kind of physical activity that you enjoy. The fat will fall off without you noticing the struggle as you're having too much fun. My current preference is tennis. I can play for hours on a summer's day. And I enjoy it so much that even when it's cold and miserable (but dry) I'll still play until I can barely walk.

Word.

OP - you seem to have an "all or nothing" mentality. I suspect you want to get your weight loss out of the way as quickly as possible so you can get back to your "normal" life. That's a prime way of not keeping the weight off long term.

Revise your expectations. Find a way of eating that you like which keeps you in a sustainable deficit. Add in some exercise that you love. Enjoy some quality time with your partner.

Consistency + patience + time = sexiness.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As per the title.

I just cant be bothered to spend hours running anymore, or working out. Or calorie counting. Or worrying if I skip too many meals if it is ok or if I might pass out (I don't have an ED but sometimes I skip meals if I am too tired to eat).

Do you ever get bored? its so much easier to stay in with your partner, a pizza and DVD than to get changed and run around a few laps of the park in the cold and rain for an hour. It is much easier to eat thanksgiving nice foods than a salad....it is so much effort to count all your cals...

I find it very boring that's why I weigh 405 lbs.
  • la8ydi
    la8ydi Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Ed, I just wanted to say your post brought a tear to my eye. Good work, and I wish you continued success.

Ditto! WTG!!!
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    It's all worth it in the end! :smile:
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    When you feel like quitting, remember why you started.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Ditto! WTG!!!

I'll third that. Very inspirational!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Of course. Discipline comes into play at that point.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Of course. Discipline comes into play at that point.

Sums it up quite nicely. While your motivation is strong, build the habits that will keep you going when motivation takes off. It will take off - so be in the habit of eating healthy and working out. This is how I have gotten through the last 19 months. Good luck.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I walk, bike, run (from 5k to half marathons), play golf, lift weights, use an elliptical, circuit train and do so many "active" things I never did before. Sitting on my *kitten* in front of the TV six hours every weeknight and nearly all day on the weekend. . . . now THAT'S boring.