Cant seem to stay on track :-(

Options
mrsnlw
mrsnlw Posts: 25 Member
I have great intentions of getting back on track, even bulk make my lunches so that I can plan ahead but I keep falling prey to the "odd" cookie which turned into 3 in 2 days (The Sainsburys triple chocolate ones) and give in to having a takeaway when I get home after a rubbish day at work and the hubby suggests it.

I dont really know why I am posting but just wanted to share my angst!
. . . . . . . . . .

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Have you tried planning in an odd cookie. I found when I made things less forbidden they aren't as tempting. My husband also likes to bring home takeout when he comes home for work, I find that I can have a small portion of whatever he got and then have a big salad and not go too far out of control.

Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you tried planning in an odd cookie. I found when I made things less forbidden they aren't as tempting. My husband also likes to bring home takeout when he comes home for work, I find that I can have a small portion of whatever he got and then have a big salad and not go too far out of control.

Good luck!

Good advice.

I allot 80% of my calories for nutrient dense foods and leave 20% to have a couple of cookies or some ice cream.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes, plan ahead for those indulgences. Do some extra exercise on those days, and/or choose meals that are very light on those days. You can't expect to eat sustainably without being allowed those things, so instead of having them controlling YOU, turn it the other way around.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have decided there are forbidden foods because that makes them oh so irresistible!!! Every food has it's place and time. If I get a craving for a cookie I wait a bit to see if it will pass and of it doesn't I will eat one to kick the craving as long as it fits in my calories. This is about balance and if you completely cut out all the food you love or enjoy you are more likely to slip into old patterns. Knowing I can have what I want within moderation really helps!!!
  • mrsnlw
    mrsnlw Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your suggestions. Maybe I am just beating myself up about it a bit too much. Take today for example - I planned crumpets for breakfast and a veg stew for lunch. I ended up having a bacon and sausage sarnie for breakfast and at lunch was still full (proven by going food shopping in my lunch hour and only buying what was on the list!!). I have just had an apple and will probably have a crumpet when I get home to tide myself over til DH gets home.

Pleased with myself that I didnt just carry on regardless!!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Pleased with myself that I didnt just carry on regardless!!

Congratulations! THIS is the point of tracking your calories. EVERYONE has those days where they go over - either planned or unplanned. The difference between those who are successful and those who are not is the realization that going over the odd time isn't going to hurt you. When it happens you just need to move on ;) This is exactly the right reaction - keep it up! If you start each day trying to be a little better than the day before you will eventually accomplish the improvement you are looking for to reach your goals ;)
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's all about moderation. Also taking baby steps I have found is what has saved me. I use to have the hardest time staying on track and emotional eating is something I really struggled with. After making small decisions everyday those things really don't even bother me as much anymore. It's easier for me to pass on food now that I would eat on a regular basis.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have heard that people make a list of all the things that are tempting during the week. On their cheat day, they look at the list to see if there is anything they still want. Most of the time the answer is no.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    One of my biggest downfalls used to be the idea that if I was "in for a penny" I was "in for a pound". In other words, if I "cheated" I might as well just pig out and not care because I'd cheated and therefore blown it.

Now that I am tracking calories, there are degrees of cheating. Yes, some days I can go over my limit. Since I'm eating at a deficit I can actually go over by at least that deficit and not gain any weight. But the amount I go over matters, so the idea that cheating a little means I've "blown it" doesn't apply anymore. There is no longer any excuse to just "go crazy" when I've over-eaten that day.
  • LR182
    LR182 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    it's hard too say no when you want that take away and the other half suggests it, because it doesnt help you in what your tryin' to do, how i sometimes keep my self motivated, is leave little Postick Notes saying things like 'You Can Do It', and always try to plan in the little snacks and treats cause they can help, just finding the motivation to keep fighting, is the hardest part of this battle.
  • benno1978
    benno1978 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    food cravings can be caused by specific micro nutrient deficiencies so chocolate cravings can be caused by low magnesium you can try healthy sources of magnesium e.g nuts and leafy greens

more tips in this blog:

http://www.m8north.co.uk/blog/how-to-beat-junk-food-cravings/
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Ahhh.....you're human?
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My answer to the extra calories is always exercise! If you know that you'll be having a takeaway then go for a walk/ jog/swim after work or at lunchtime. You can burn off 200 -300 calories and it makes maintaining your deficit so much easier. I used to hate exercise and hardly did any but I did the C25K in the summer and I now run 3 or 4 times a week and I love it! It also gives me lots of extra calories for treats :) I have consistently lost 1lb a week since June and I could never have done this without exercise.
    But don't beat yourself up over a biscuit, in future buy biscuits that aren't going to call to you so seductively - rich tea or digestives are far less attractive.
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I always find it best to allow myself 'treats' in the later hours of the day, where I already finished all of the other food I had planned. That way, I'm not ravenously hungry! If I know my pals want to eat out, I dedicate a specific day to indulgence and if I can't control myself on the following days I wean myself off of the junky foods ~100 calories a day until I'm back on track.