Help! Gaining on Maintenence Calories

Options
124»

Replies

• lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Erm... am I the only one thinking that if your measurements have stayed the same you are, in fact, doing an excellent job of maintaining, despite what the stupid and deceptive scales are saying? You've done a brilliant job, continue what you're doing, maybe try eating a bit more, and as long as you're happy with the tape measure tell the scales to get lost! :drinker:

Best post in the whole thread. The OP shouldn't worry so much about the scale and focus more on waist circumference.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Even so, when you metabolize the glycogen, doesn't it make sense that it changes the osmotic qualities of the body fluid leading to (I don't know) water loss through urine?
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    its 6 pounds! I gain that in 1 hour after going to bj's brewery... its more than likely a combo of things... sodium / water, muscle swell, undigested food... POOP... when I raise my calories, I pick up extra weight, not fat, just weight... its not a big deal. losing that 6 pounds before your vacation wont make ay difference... just eat a box of raisins and go to the bathroom!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

This is the problem with the internet.

What source do you believe?

Regarding physiology, people don't what they don't know.

All this glycogen is stored with water stuff is coming from a very old hypothesis that is being propagated in nutrition circles.

EVERYTHING in the human body is stored with water.

Glycogen is stored as a granule that PRECIPITATES OUT OF WATER.

Guyton's is THE bible for physiology. NOT nutrition journals which contain a lot of flaky stuff. Just because some publication has "journal" in front of its name doesn't mean anything.

Guyton's comes out every few years with a new edition.

All of the crap studies and theories that did not pan out after rigorous medical review ARE NOT IN GUYTON'S.

But they still exist floating around the internet for people who want to misuse them.

If you are interested in a topic, search on the topic and then type in "Guyton's" afterward. You should get what Guyton's says on the subject.

So, obviously you didn't bother to follow the search link that lists texts on several broad topics other than nutrition. I did say those were just the first couple in the list. Look farther down and find: Ellenberg and Rifkin's Diabetes Mellitus, Medical Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biochemistry Student Companion (which specifically mentions that glycogen in liver and muscle cells is stored in the form of hydrated granules, rather than the more generic 'hydrated glycogen'). At the point where information is this widely spread through textbooks (the absolute last place to find up-to-date info), then it is generally regarded as an established fact and we would need to see counter experiments to show that it has been disproved.

I've taken some time to look, and can't find any, which isn't to say it isn't out there somewhere. For fun, here's one of the original references showing glycogen association with water. You'll find this reference in several of the more current research papers. You might note that they even mention purifying the glycogen as spheres, and that there are low molecular weight spheres that are water permeable. Then there is a high molecular weight fraction consisting of these spheres linked with protein (granules) that still have water associated with them even though they are not water permeable themselves. It is speculated that the large number of aggregated spheres may have trapped interstitial water and/or the granules themselves may have water trapped within them. It is also hinted that the binding of water molecules is weak, which would be not unexpected, from a physiological standpoint.

Water binding by glycogen molecules.
    Brittain T, Geddes R.
    Biochim Biophys Acta. 1978 Oct 3;543(2):258-63.
    PMID: 728463

I think that part of the problem is that you are reading insoluble in water to mean not able to interact with water, when in actuality the solubility of a molecule doesn't necessarily speak to its ability to associate with water molecules.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Just to add. . . for some of us, maintenance is 1350. I'm 5'1", almost 59, and 103 pounds. 1350 is maintenance for me. I'm not doing any heavy-duty exercise program, but I get on my treadmill for 30 minutes most day, do some strength exercise on my fitness ball and ride my bike when the weather cooperates.