breaking up a full routine on the same day

Options
If I do a full body strength workout three times a week but have to split my workout to see to other commitments, would I lose any effect doing this.

It would go: Upper body - then go off and come back around two hours later and finish with Lower body, but all on the same day.

Or is that going to be the same effect as a split routine?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah there is 0% need to worry. I've even heard of studies that have found training like this to be more effective.

Training is cumulative just like weight loss. Especially since you're splitting it by upper and lower, it'll have no affect at all on your gains.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered about this since the actual calorie burn is not my main focus with lifting and strength training. I actually find that I end up doing more when I just work with my squats, kettle bell, dumbbells, etc. while I am watching tv or waiting for something I have cooking in the oven throughout the day.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thanks both - that's what I was hoping. I also thought taking a break between upper and lower but on the same day would help me to re-focus for lower section instead of working straight through and it means I can work all sections three times a week.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think im going to be doing the same soon. I will be finishing my spin classes next week, and will be joining a gym for my lunchtimes, so will probably do half my routine at the gym, then the rest at home, as my weights at home are very limited, also I will be able to lift heavier at the gym with the squat rack which I haven't at home.