Losing motivation after reaching my goal?

Options
For the first time in a very very long time, I'm starting to be comfortable with my weight and my body shape. I've been working out for a while now and the pleasant result is that I no longer have very noticeable flabs.

But now that I'm more comfortable with how I am, I no longer have as much motivation to stick to healthy/controlled eating & regular exercising. I usually workout to fitness videos at home (easy and quick, not to mention effective), but the length of the videos I've been working out to has been on a decline. I also find myself stopping in the middle of a video then never coming back to finish it (doing it as I speak...).

I'm afraid that if I continue like this, I'll sabotage all my efforts :-\ Any advice on staying motivated to work out (as well as sticking to calorie goals)?

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. I lost 135 lbs and reached my goal. After I did i gained back almost 10 lbs. The reason is because you no longer have specific goals you're trying to reach. The best thing to do once you reach that point is keep setting goals, but your goals should revolve around FITNESS gains rather than weight loss. Set new strength goals, new speed goals, etc...
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing. I lost 135 lbs and reached my goal. After I did i gained back almost 10 lbs. The reason is because you no longer have specific goals you're trying to reach. The best thing to do once you reach that point is keep setting goals, but your goals should revolve around FITNESS gains rather than weight loss. Set new strength goals, new speed goals, etc...

This.

This is actually common. People become comfortable and don't feel the need. Make little fitness related goals like suggested. Mine are just improving at running, eating less/more of something else.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Point is, it's very easy to lose motivation when you no longer have a goal. Goals are what keep you motivated. And you have to keep setting them. Once you're at a weight you're happy with, the only thing you can really continue to set goals for is performance related athletic gains. Unless you want to become a bodybuilder...
  • Shreddingit84
    Options
    That happen to me 2 years ago! Look ive been back! No good to stop the lifestyle! Unless you wanna be ugly!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Fitness, health, nutrition, etc are lifetime endeavors...you should always be setting new goals and then crushing them. Maybe it's time to do something else besides DVD workouts. Start actually training for something...find an event and register for it. Working out for the sake of working out gets old...I like my workouts to serve a greater purpose.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Fitness, health, nutrition, etc are lifetime endeavors...you should always be setting new goals and then crushing them. Maybe it's time to do something else besides DVD workouts. Start actually training for something...find an event and register for it. Working out for the sake of working out gets old...I like my workouts to serve a greater purpose.

Pretty much that. Following DVD workouts exclusively is the bane of people who have reached that point.