How do i sprint faster

Options
Hey guys i play soccer alot and although my skill is good my speed is average.I wanna get faster but when igoogle it i find very complicated stuff.I simply just sprint as fast as i can and then take rest then do it again.Will this help me get faster? I wanna be the fastest on my team and am working hard right now.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Yes of course it will help. You will probably not get so fast results as structured and complicated sprinting program would give you. But eventually you will get faster, of course.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    There are quite a bit of simple sprint workouts on the Runners World website.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Just sprinting will probably improve your sprints but you will hit a ceiling. Sprinting is part genetics and part technique, if you neglect the technique side you will limit your potential.
    Also remember that for ball sports acceleration is often more important than ultimate top speed.

A few boys in the rugby side I used to coach spent a few sessions with a sprint coach (Margot Wells) and the results were dramatic improvements in a very short time. It didn't make them the fastest though, we had a genetic freak in the team!
    Whether you will ever be the fastest in your team.... Only one way to find out.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The areas I would look at are:

1) Technique - correct technique will allow you to make full use of the power, mobility and strength that you already have.

2) Mobility - If you have restrictions, limiting stride length etc.. working on mobility to overcome that again will allow you to maximise on the strength and power you have.

3a) Strength - power is what you really need but a base of strength is important, as if you apply maximum strength very quickly, but your maximum strength is low, you won't benefit.

3b) Power development - you need to apply max strength as quickly as you can, so work on plyometrics, and explosive lifts, like power cleans and power snatches.

4) Agility - If you were a pure sprinter this would be less essential, but given the nature of your sport, as well as sprinting fast, you will need to be able to decelerate and change direction fast also.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I am a former sprinter. Keep in mind that much of it is genetic...just as some people excel at sprinting, others will excel at distance and endurance...generally sprinters, an as is the case for me, make crappy endurance runners and vice versa. Obviously you can get better and faster, but your overall potential is largely going to be genetic.

- Work on your body positioning and foot placement. People tend to run upright...a good sprinter will have his body at about a 45* angle to the running surface. You have to stay low, but you don't want to be bent over either...your *kitten* shouldn't be sticking out.

- Stride should be short with more steps...strike with the front foot and don't bounce...nice fluid movement. Kick your heal back into your *kitten* with each stride. Let your hammies work

- Sprinting is all about explosion...practice other explosive movements like Tuck Jumps, Lunge Jumps, Rocket Jumps, Knee Driving Skips, etc.

- Olympic weight training. Oly-lifting is all about explosion and power. Start doing snatches and cleans and jerks and power push presses, etc. Note that these are technical lifts and you should learn to do them properly to avoid injury.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I am a former sprinter. Keep in mind that much of it is genetic...just as some people excel at sprinting, others will excel at distance and endurance...generally sprinters, an as is the case for me, make crappy endurance runners and vice versa. Obviously you can get better and faster, but your overall potential is largely going to be genetic.

- Work on your body positioning and foot placement. People tend to run upright...a good sprinter will have his body at about a 45* angle to the running surface. You have to stay low, but you don't want to be bent over either...your *kitten* shouldn't be sticking out.

- Stride should be short with more steps...strike with the front foot and don't bounce...nice fluid movement. Kick your heal back into your *kitten* with each stride. Let your hammies work

- Sprinting is all about explosion...practice other explosive movements like Tuck Jumps, Lunge Jumps, Rocket Jumps, Knee Driving Skips, etc.

- Olympic weight training. Oly-lifting is all about explosion and power. Start doing snatches and cleans and jerks and power push presses, etc. Note that these are technical lifts and you should learn to do them properly to avoid injury.
    I have no real knowledge of sprint-specific training, but am I right in thinking Squats and Box Jumps would also be of great benefit? I mention these because they're a lot simpler for someone to learn than the Oly lifts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

I have no real knowledge of sprint-specific training, but am I right in thinking Squats and Box Jumps would also be of great benefit? I mention these because they're a lot simpler for someone to learn than the Oly lifts.

Definitely they will be of benefit and I always did them...that said, I made my greatest strides my junior year in high school when I started incorporated some of those explosive oly lifts. That year I went from being pretty good to being 3rd in the State in the 100M and breaking numerous PRs in the 100M hurdles, 200M, etc. 20 years later I still hold my HS record for the pole vault...which isn't that shocking considering that not too many people get into pole vaulting these days.

But yeah...definitely squats and box jumps.