Baring It All: The Barefoot Running Trend

Options
2»

Replies

• ShellyLee
    ShellyLee Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My hubby runs barefoot, even for his Air Force pt tests. And when I say barefoot I mean TOTALLY barefoot. He gets better times and it doesn't make his joints hurt like wearing sneakers does.
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I've been going throught the Couch to 5k program. I've been reading on barefoot running and my ex-coworkers swear by the vibrams. I do consciously try to land on the balls of my feet in my regular shoes. I have bad knees to begin with, but I found running this way doesn't hurt my knees at all, I've not had shin splints and I've not had heel pain. I had all of those things before I changed my stride.

Today I decided I was going to try to run barefoot and I mean completely barefoot. It took some time to get used to the pavement under my feet, but I have to say I loved it. I felt I could run forever. I did have to slow my pace, considering I have never ran barefoot before. I noticed straight away, my calves stretched more and generally it was a good feeling. It was kind of like playing Mario Brothers trying to avoid the obstacles on the road but that was fine too.

I came home to a skinned big toe on my left foot and a blister on the ball of my right foot. But I expected such, since I'm new to it. I look forward to doing it again. I think I'll go try on some Vibrams tomorrow.