Best way to get back on track when you blow it....

Was out of town at a restaurant I wasn't familiar with and thought I'd made a fairly decent choice, but when I got back home and checked the restaurant menu on the internet, man did I blow it. It threw me so far over my calories for the day it wasn't even funny. I was caught off guard by that.

So that led me to thinking about getting back on track. I had been a bit under on my calories the day before. I was wondering, does your calorie intake actually reset each day? I worked out like a dog the next day to try and do a bit of makeup... whether or not it worked but at least I felt better afterwards. So I guess the question is... what is the best way to handle it when you blow it? Exercise more? Ignore it and just move on? Somewhere in between.

The hilarious thing about it was I stepped on the scale the next morning morning, expecting grim results and I had lost a pound. It made me laugh and realize it's not about one day.

Replies

• Was out of town at a restaurant I wasn't familiar with and thought I'd made a fairly decent choice, but when I got back home and checked the restaurant menu on the internet, man did I blow it. It threw me so far over my calories for the day it wasn't even funny. I was caught off guard by that.

So that led me to thinking about getting back on track. I had been a bit under on my calories the day before. I was wondering, does your calorie intake actually reset each day? I worked out like a dog the next day to try and do a bit of makeup... whether or not it worked but at least I felt better afterwards. So I guess the question is... what is the best way to handle it when you blow it? Exercise more? Ignore it and just move on? Somewhere in between.

The hilarious thing about it was I stepped on the scale the next morning morning, expecting grim results and I had lost a pound. It made me laugh and realize it's not about one day.
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    you are right its not about one day
    i personaly start fresh the next day and move forward. sometimes you cant help it, things happen.
  • ophedian
    ophedian Posts: 78
    From what I know, it is the total caloric deficit at the end of the week that matters. So you can one day which you go over and another day where you are under. As long as at the end of the week you have the needed caloric deficit, you are all good.

By the way, the best advice I can give to get back on track that worked for me was:

1) I sat down, replayed the day in my mind, step by step.
    2) I started questioning why I choose the foods that I did and or quantities
    .. was it the lack of available good foods?
    .. lack of snacks between meals
    .. did not want to appear as if on a diet amongst friends at lunch (this is actually one of my female friends questions, but I think it very relevant to guys as well)

This pattern has helped me figure out where the "oops" happened and perhaps how to avoid it next time.
    Was out of town at a restaurant I wasn't familiar with and thought I'd made a fairly decent choice, but when I got back home and checked the restaurant menu on the internet, man did I blow it. It threw me so far over my calories for the day it wasn't even funny. I was caught off guard by that.

• dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Consider it a learning experience, and move on! When I go overboard on calories, I am very careful for the next couple of days to not over-indulge.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Yep - your body doesn't care what day, week, or year it is. It runs constantly without stopping. Breaking it up into days just makes it easier for us to work with :)

For now, if you have a bad night just keep going as if it had never happened - at least thats what I do :)