How do you 'push away from the table'?

Options
HI! I am on day 40 of MFP and feeling great! But I'm off to Disney next week.... I do well when I can control my portions. But I know myself and if I start overeating, I will go crazy (like all the yummy desserts I had yesterday).

What do you do to help yourself STOP eating ... how do you eat half your food-- how do you keep from being in the clean plate club? Share your tricks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You just do...I don't think there is any magic, you just do it. Just make good decisions...order from the appetizer menu if you can't help yourself or order a 1/2 orders (a lot of restaurants have 1/2 orders). If you really can't stop just ask for a to go container straight away and put 1/2 the food away. As far as desert goes, for me, desert is generally a treat...it is not something I have after every meal every day...I usually order desert when I go out but that's only because I eat out maybe once or twice per month.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I can't. If I start then I can't stop, so I don't start. Or if I happen to start for some reason I just let it go and then start clean again next day. One cheat day once in a while will not make any difference as far as you do not do it regularly. That's my philosophy on it anyways - go out with friends and can only eat unhealthy? Then ate unhealthy and enjoy it. Works for me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I drink quite a bit of water with each meal.
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You just do...I don't think there is any magic, you just do it. Just make good decisions...order from the appetizer menu if you can't help yourself or order a 1/2 orders (a lot of restaurants have 1/2 orders). If you really can't stop just ask for a to go container straight away and put 1/2 the food away. As far as desert goes, for me, desert is generally a treat...it is not something I have after every meal every day...I usually order desert when I go out but that's only because I eat out maybe once or twice per month.

this is good advice. I would agree - you just do.
  • mlourk210
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I must be somewhat dense. I cannot find where one posts her message. Help, please.
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Water BEFORE YOU eat 8oz minimum, cut the portions in half BEFORE you eat, put it away (take out box, etc.) If you are doing the meal plan eat at pick-your-own (cafeteria) style restaurants rather than full buffet or seated eating. If you go buffet use the salad plate (smaller I hope) for your heavy cal foods. also if you are a salad eater make a (sized to please your eyes) salad of low cal choices and eat all of it BEFORE your entrée.

It is not impossible but you have to want it.

Good luck and enjoy my favorite place!

CW
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    I just became really tired of avoiding the mirror before a shower in the morning, or catching women giving me the "oh god, he looks awful" stare.

This coupled with the fact that I just turned 35 and realizing that sooner rather than later, my unhealthy eating habits were going to catch up to me in the form of an ambulance ride, gave me all the reason I needed to get my act together and start actively trying to live a leaner, healthier life.

Good luck to you.
  • spellingmama
    spellingmama Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Actually, dining at Disney isn't hard to do at all if you plan ahead.

Are you doing the dining plan, eating on site without the dining plan or eating outside of the park?

Do you have a hotel room with a fridge? I go to Disney many time a month.

Give some details and I'll see if I can come up with some "healthy" but fun options for you....I've eaten at many, many of the Disney restaurants, full table service and counter service and there are many ways to enjoy the Disney experience without going crazy but still enjoying the food available.