I have a question about rice.

Options
The packaging on my rice says 100g cooked has 119 calories.
But I weighed 50g before I cooked it, and then it expanded (obviously) so I don't really know how much I've eaten.

Is 50g dry approximately 100g cooked, or is it more?

It's white basmati rice in case that makes a difference.

Replies

• sdreed25
    sdreed25 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It's so annoying when they put the cooked weight calories instead of the dry! Need to weight it after cooking really but my white basmati is 50g uncooked at 177 calories if that helps
  • miss_glamorous
    Options
    I know right?! Like, who weighs cooked rice? Who are these people?

Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking, but I wanted someone else's opinion to see if I was on the right track.

I'm thinking 50g dry is maybe closer to 150g cooked...
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I feel this same way about popcorn. The packaging tells me how many calories a tablespoon of unpopped kernels is. Yeah, let me just open this convent bag and measure the kernels before I pop them :huh:

I'm no help - but you're not alone!
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Actually I sometimes weigh cooked rice, for example when using left-over rice to make fried rice or I also often cook a big batch and freeze it, then microwave portions as needed. If I'm cooking for just for one portion I'll weigh the dry rice, if I'm weighing my own portion when I've cooked for a lot of people I'll weigh it on my plate as I serve it. Not as weird as you might think.

According to the basmati rice I use, 100g cooked = 107 and 100g uncooked = 355. I'd guess your 50g rice was around 180 calories. Hope this helps.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It's so annoying when they put the cooked weight calories instead of the dry! Need to weight it after cooking really but my white basmati is 50g uncooked at 177 calories if that helps

My rice is also 50g uncooked at 177 cals. I had 30g uncooked today, happened to weigh after and it was around 93g.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I weigh cooked rice just the same way I weigh my meat, vegetables and anything else on my plate.

Is there some reason you couldn't weigh the cooked rice so you know for sure?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rice usually triples in weight, pasta usually doubles in weight.
    Always better to measure uncooked when possible, as it's a much more accurate measure, because cooking causes food to gain or lose water, which affects the weight, but not the calorie content. Especially meat, 100g of raw meat could end up weighing anywhere from 50-90g after cooking, but the nutrition would be the same for all of them.
  • RosaliaBee
    RosaliaBee Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Thanks. That's sort of what I was thinking, but I wanted someone else's opinion to see if I was on the right track.

I'm thinking 50g dry is maybe closer to 150g cooked...

I hate this too! But what I hate so much MORE is when they tell you on the package what the calories are "per serving" and a serving is some totally arbitrary number that they've decided is correct; like 85 grams - and the weight per serving is "as served" or in other words after it's been cooked. Please don't TELL me how much cooked rice I'm supposed to put on my plate, I don't need to be told that, just give me the raw data so I can work out how much I want to cook! I hate having to go through that rigmarole of dividing and then multiplying again.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Just weigh the rice AFTER it's cooked. Also, if you do a before and after weigh experiment, you will know exactly how much water uptake occurs with that brand of rice, so you can plan better next time.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,103 Member
    Options
    I weigh cooked rice just the same way I weigh my meat, vegetables and anything else on my plate.

Is there some reason you couldn't weigh the cooked rice so you know for sure?

The problem with weighing cooked rice is that the weight is dependent on how much water the rice absorbs. That will vary from batch to batch. Will it make a huge difference? I'm honestly not sure, but it will be less accurate than weighing rice uncooked.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Buy rice that lists the dry weight instead *shrugs*
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    for me 50 gram cooked white rice is 184 kcals:D
  • imluna
    Options
    i am these people, :wink: i use my rice cooker to make rice for the whole family, and when it's finished, i weigh my portion.
  • RommelMathew
    RommelMathew Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Forget about the weight. Just measure the cooked rice by cups. That would be much easier.

I have a set of measuring cups for my rice intake.
  • jaimie3133
    jaimie3133 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tha rice I buy from tesco has an approximate... 75g = 188g when cooked so i would say 50g = around 125 - 150.

Hope this helps :)
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    jaimie3133 wrote: »
    Tha rice I buy from tesco has an approximate... 75g = 188g when cooked so i would say 50g = around 125 - 150.

Hope this helps :)

The original post is from 2013, hopefully she's already figured it out so she can eat her rice.