I eat 1200 calorie, why is that bad?

Options
So I see so many threads saying that eating 1200 calories a day is bad. And I can see how it would be bad if I ate like that everyday.

But, from Monday-Friday, I normally eat a net of 1160-1200 calories but Saturday, I have a cheat day where I probably eat a good 4000 calories of just straight up junk, but you know what it works for me because the next day I will weigh myself and I'm 2 pounds down.

Realistically I am eating about 11 thousand calories a week which is a healthy deficit, I just choose to save up those calories during the week and eat them on Saturday.

I know a lot of people say a cheat day is bad, and I should just fit into my macros and calories, but I want to eat healthy most of the time, so I take one day where I go over my calories and eat whatever I want and it has worked for me.

Am I wrong in the assumption that I am still getting a proper, healthy deficit?

Hope that made sense.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    You're fine.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I have done something similar and coach others on doing it too. If what you are doing is working, don't change a thing! Enjoy your spike day! :)
  • CindaWhite
    CindaWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    IF it works don't fix it. 1200 is a safe range for not damaging your metabolism. You don't want to go consistently below 1200. That said 1150ish may actually be closer to 1200 if you are eating prepared foods, as slight variances in ingredients or the weight of what you actually consume may add a little here and there. I shoot for a net of 1200 per day and I lose about 1 lb. per week when I am consistent.

As for your cheat day you are allowing yourself not to feel deprived for great lengths of time and that probably helps your mental attitude. I say you are doing great. Add me. I would love to follow along and share support!

CW
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    So you are really eating 1600 calories a day if you average it out.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you won't for others!

If you feel comfortable eating 1200 with cheat meals then it's all good hun! :flowerforyou:
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

I just want to make sure I'm doing this the healthy way and I don't gain all my weight back.

If any of you have advice on how to do it better, let me know.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    I have done something similar and coach others on doing it too. If what you are doing is working, don't change a thing! Enjoy your spike day! :)

Oh really? Good to know I'm not the only one doing this. A lot of people on here are against cheat days.

Thanks. :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

I just want to make sure I'm doing this the healthy way and I don't gain all my weight back.

There is no bad or good way to achieve your goal as long as your body gets enough calories and you hit your macros, then the rest is up to you! Some people like cheat meals, I personally don't but really it's a matter of preference. In the end, as rileysowner said, you average 1600 calories a day over a week and that is perfectly fine! :wink:
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. Some people are shorter and very sedentary. Their calorie needs are less than say a young man in his 20s lifting weights. Different strokes for different folks. If this works for you, you feel energetic and you're not hungry then go for it.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

There is no bad or good way to achieve your goal as long as your body gets enough calories and you hit your macros, then the rest is up to you! Some people like cheat meals, I personally don't but really it's a matter of preference. In the end, as rileysowner said, you average 1600 calories a day over a week and that is perfectly fine! :wink:

Thanks!

I really want a toned body, I don't want to be "skinny fat", is there any advice on achieving that? I am losing the weight right now but I want to have a toned, healthy body.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    its only bad if you're hangry
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    But, from Monday-Friday, I normally eat a net of 1160-1200 calories but Saturday, I have a cheat day where I probably eat a good 4000 calories of just straight up junk, but you know what it works for me because the next day I will weigh myself and I'm 2 pounds down.

I tend to drop after a "cheat" day, too, although, I've stopped calling mine cheat days. I did read on one of the TDEE calculators that it's good to eat at TDEE at least once a week (preferably on an exercise day). For me, it's usually on Saturday or Sunday, and I allow myself a pancake or waffle breakfast, with all the fixins!
  • mssag
    mssag Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It's not bad. I keep seeing on this forum that (1) calories on packaged and other foods can actually be up to 10% less than they really are, and (2) people tend to underestimate/miscalculate calories up to 20% lower. So given that, having a 1200 calorie goal would be totally fine. Given (1) and (2), I target a 1000-1200 7-day average. In fact, I've been tracking my calorie intake and weight over the last 3+ months and I was only maintaining when I targeted eating at my BMR (which should've given me a 0.5/wk loss), which tells me that there must be some truth to (1) and/or (2) even though I'm diligent about using a food scale. I didn't start losing until I went lower. I think the bottom line is to do what you find works for you because it's all an estimation at the end of the day.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

Thanks!

I really want a toned body, I don't want to be "skinny fat", is there any advice on achieving that? I am losing the weight right now but I want to have a toned, healthy body.

start a weight lifting program. focus more on lifting than on cardio. that will build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories you will naturally burn. plus lifting gives you a HOT body ;-) you will ,eventually, have to net more than 1200 calories a day though. i currently eat around 1800-2000 calories a day and lift 3x a week and i am still losing inches every week. :)
  • stefaniemazz
    Options

I tend to drop after a "cheat" day, too, although, I've stopped calling mine cheat days. I did read on one of the TDEE calculators that it's good to eat at TDEE at least once a week (preferably on an exercise day). For me, it's usually on Saturday or Sunday, and I allow myself a pancake or waffle breakfast, with all the fixins!

I eat WAY MORE then my TDEE on "cheat days", I don't log on cheat days, it my break from everything including exercise. I probably eat 4000 calories.

But it works for me, or at least it has been.

I got the cheat day idea from the "5 factor diet" book.
  • ErinMLB
    ErinMLB Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think that different things work for different people. I do 1200-1400 a day and am loosing steadily, I picked that because I truly fit into the sedentary category, I do however eat back most my exercise calories. For toning I would take up strength training, but you may also need to up your calories to accommodate it.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    [/quote]

start a weight lifting program. focus more on lifting than on cardio. that will build muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories you will naturally burn. plus lifting gives you a HOT body ;-) you will ,eventually, have to net more than 1200 calories a day though. i currently eat around 1800-2000 calories a day and lift 3x a week and i am still losing inches every week. :)
    [/quote]

Once I start lifting can I continue doing what I'm doing now? Eat 1200 during the week and eat more on the weekend? I prefer to do it this way but if its not the right way then let me know :)
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    I think that different things work for different people. I do 1200-1400 a day and am loosing steadily, I picked that because I truly fit into the sedentary category, I do however eat back most my exercise calories. For toning I would take up strength training, but you may also need to up your calories to accommodate it.

If I up my calories will I have to stop my cheat days?
    Sorry I have a lot of questions.
  • redsnapper8
    redsnapper8 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I started on 1400 and the weight just didn't shift, move to 1200 and it dropped off, but this was before I started to exercise much (and I still don't do a lot) where I found I could eat the extra calories I burnt (approx 400 a day) for the same weight loss affect. I can not drop below 1300 on exercise days though without feeling the effects, normally a lack of concentration. I don't know how it works for people of different weights and heights but for me (starting at 12st 3pounds at 5'5') but this is keeping me on target for my goal weight for new year when I hope to up the calorie intake (but keeping the exercise) to maintain. Not sure if this helps, just some extra info for you. Good luck :)
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Once I start lifting can I continue doing what I'm doing now? Eat 1200 during the week and eat more on the weekend? I prefer to do it this way but if its not the right way then let me know :)

yes you can continue doing what you are doing now, just know that eventually you are going to reach a plateau and won't see any gains until you up your caloric intake. if you stay the way you are now, you will begin strengthening the muscle you already have, but unless you are eating more calories you will not build any muscle, which is what you are looking to do. :)

feel free to add and/or message if you want more info! i was doing the same thing as you a few months back and asked the same question, i was eating like 1300 calories a day and didn't want to be skinny fat and wasn't really losing and just doing tons of cardo. i started the strong lifts 5x5 program and upped my calories to around 1800 a day and the inches started melting off and the hot body shape started to emerge! it was and continues to be glorious :)