Apple or Hourglass shape

Options
i have struggled with this for a while. i am 5'2, with 35-27-35 measurements. but i gain most of the fat on my upper stomach?? can you be a mix of 2 body shapes?? i have a reference on my profile. do i look like an apple or an hourglass? is this the right forum to post in??

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter?
  • nanamichiaki
    Options
    i don't know, i'm comfortable in my own body but im just curious i guess? yeah.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    what about an hourglass but instead of sand in it, it's got an apple in the top and an apple in the bottom?
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    According to your measurements, you have hourglass. If you gain weight, you will probably turn into apple, based on what you said.
  • nanamichiaki
    Options
    woah yeah sounds like it. thank you!!
  • nanamichiaki
    Options
    alright, thanks!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter?
  • nanamichiaki
    Options
    it doesnt, i was just curious :)
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Try this - http://stylingup.com/body-type/

Typically (from what I've read), the ratio between waist to hip and waist to bust would be about 10 inches different in order to be an hourglass. But so many sites say different things you can't really rely on the information.
  • nanamichiaki
    Options

Typically (from what I've read), the ratio between waist to hip and waist to bust would be about 10 inches different in order to be an hourglass. But so many sites say different things you can't really rely on the information.

thanks a lot!!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    it doesnt, i was just curious :)
    oh, you said you have struggled with it for a while.

hope you really dont care what fruit you are.:flowerforyou:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hourglass/ruler here . i'm a ruler when overweight and very close to an hourglass at goal size. OP you sound like an hourglass by your measurements but like others have noted when you gain weight you could look like another type.

as to why it matters, i guess the people who ask that question either dont shop for clothes or OK with wearing stuff that doesnt look right for their body or are able to spend hours and hours shopping to to try and find the things that fit them well.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    You're an hourglass. You're only 5'2" (my height) so an 8 inch difference (and equally top & bottom) is significant.
    Mine used to be something like 34/ 27/ 38 - I've always had a butt, & definitely gain weight around my middle like the females on my mom's side, so I'm more apple-prone.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    hourglass/ruler here . i'm a ruler when overweight and very close to an hourglass at goal size. OP you sound like an hourglass by your measurements but like others have noted when you gain weight you could look like another type.

as to why it matters, i guess the people who ask that question either dont shop for clothes or OK with wearing stuff that doesnt look right for their body.

I would think that when they shop for clothes, they are trying them on and seeing whether or not it looks good on them. I have some doubts that buying clothes that are marked or claimed to be great for a body shape type automatically makes them look good in it.

Also, I don't think NOT being overly concerned about your body type means in any way, shape, or form that you don't shop for clothes or don't care what you wear. I think that's a bit silly to say/insinuate.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options

thanks a lot!!

Whether you are either of the 2 matters not, unless it's a styling issue ~ wardrobe relevant. If that is the case, then compression garments (as in bodyshapers) beneath your clothes can create an alternative bodyshape, qualifying an apple with a fairly pliable middle into an hourglass. Another alternative would be a waist cincher, eg corseting.

If you'd wanted to, you may opt for compression garments workout wear whilst training. Recommend you have a read of this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1131956-compression-garments-who-knew
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    hourglass/ruler here . i'm a ruler when overweight and very close to an hourglass at goal size.

so when you're overweight, you're long and slender?

The-Rock-Confused-Smile.gif