Getting started with free weights by myself?

Options
After Christmas break from university, I would like to get started with lifting free weights at the gym. The reason why I don't want to start now is because I'll be away from the gym for 2-3 weeks in a couple of weeks and I probably won't have access to any weights or a gym at all during that time.

Anyway, one personal trainer session at my gym costs way too much money and I'm sure I'd need more than one session to be guided by the trainer. I have been using those controlled weight machines at the gym for the past two months and will continue to do so until Christmas break.

My question is, how do I get started with the free weights on my own? The guys in the weight area can be quite intimidating and I just feel a bit shy or insecure to go into the weight area and start doing things.
Does anybody have any tips on how to get started besides "Just go in there and lift stuff"?
What are some beginner exercises I should do? Do I start with dumbbells or should I also use a barbell?
Are there any other things I should know about weight lifting besides common etiquette?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    pick up a copy of starting strength by mark rippetoe

and look at yourtube videos of rippetoe giving tips on proper form
    practice practice practice good form, if possible start with just the bare barebell
    once you are fairly sure of your form start adding weight.

good beginner's programs for strength are starting strength, strong lifts and wendler 5-3-1
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options

What are some beginner exercises I should do? Do I start with dumbbells or should I also use a barbell?
    Are there any other things I should know about weight lifting besides common etiquette?
    Bench press, squats, deadlifts, chin ups, bent over barbell rows, military press, back extensions, crunches, tricep extensions. Use barbell. Do them all 3 days a week, with day rest between. 3 sets of 8 reps for each exercise with weight what you can lift 10 reps max until you fail. If you can't do real weight there then start with just a bar alone and work up from there. Voila! Pretty much a full beginner lifting program right there in nut shell. Very generic one but works. ^^
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    creeper tagged :blushing: