Meal-replacement shakes?

Options
On some days when I'm busy and distracted, I find that I might be lacking 200-500 calories from my daily budget. A friend of mine at the gym suggested drinking meal-replacement shakes (i.e the one from PhD woman or similar) after a work out or at the end of the day.

The reason for this is because I'm not hungry, even if I'm missing these calories and I don't want to force myself to eat. I like a lot of veggies and fruit but I can't eat hundreds of calories of those either when am low on calories.

Would these meal-replacement shakes with 300cals or so in a glass be a good solution? :)

Replies

• p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Not usually.

Why not make your own - milk, protein powder, fruit, etc. Much better for you, much cheaper.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Or a sammich?
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Not usually.

Why not make your own - milk, protein powder, fruit, etc. Much better for you, much cheaper.

I'd also considered protein powder. What kind should I look into? I've heard that whey protein powder is a good start - correct?
  • kroonha
    Options
    Or a sammich?

A sammich, as delicious as they can be, would be forcing myself to eat on most occasions and if I'm not hungry, I will feel horrible afterwards if I'm just trying to up my calories.
    That, and I'm trying to eat less bread.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Is it protein you're falling short on?
  • kroonha
    Options
    Is it protein you're falling short on?

I'd say at least three days a week, I will have only half of my recommended protein (not intentionally).
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Then perhaps a shake.

Or some meat.

Any of these issues could also be solved by increasing portion sizes.
  • kroonha
    Options
    Then perhaps a shake.

Or some meat.

Any of these issues could also be solved by increasing portion sizes.

I will try to up the amount of meat in my diet. I generally aim for 1300 calories a day. When I first started calorie counting, staying within those boundaries seemed impossible and now I struggle to make up the missing calories - guess I have been *too* afraid to 'indulge' with my meal sizes.

Hopefully eating slightly bigger meals or a bigger lunch will fix this issue.

Thank you for your input :)