sugar daily allowance

Options
I have used up all my sugar allowance from one glass of orange juice? Does this mean I can't have any other fruit or anything sweet at all if I drink juice in the morning?

Replies

• fernmeister
    Options
    No way just count your sugars as carbs. Basically, a carb is a carb, but some have more nutrition than others.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    MFP's sugar allowance is the recommended amount of *added* sugar, but MFP doesn't differentiate between natural and added sugars
    I did not know that! Did you see a staff member post that?

Scroll down to the chart--
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/usda-sugar-guidelines-ga.htm

You'll see the recommendations for added sugar based on how many calories you consume. MFP sets mine at 32 grams, which is the recommendation for added sugar for a 2000 calorie diet. But since food labels don't differentiate, neither does MFP.

Thanks. This really helped a lot and straightened things out for me. :happy:

For those of you who want something more official, I found this in the USDA link that she provided. See the very end of page 266 and all of page 267 (or just search for "added" . http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/DRI/DRI_Energy/265-338.pdf
    The above is from a thread in which I asked a similar question.

No way just count your sugars as carbs. Basically, a carb is a carb, but some have more nutrition than others.
    Huhhh? My head hurts. Too complicated.
  • sugarmomma3
    Options
    I also struggled with that in the beginning especially with fruit and i dont look at the sugar anymore and focus on staying under on carbs. You cant not eat fruit on a diet. Milk is another one high in sugar and as a woman in her forties i need all the calcium i can get. Theres a lot of no sugar added products that are a great way to cut back. Good luck on your fitness journey and feel free to add as a friend for motivation.
  • TheCredibleHuIk
    TheCredibleHuIk Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not matter unless you have a medical condition.

A carb is a carb, is a carb. It is basics. You do not need to know ANYTHING else, ignore the sugar limit, stick to your calories, profit.

The Credible Hulk
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I replaced the sugar category with fiber.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Rational choice. I don't count sugar aside from carbs and I don't count carbs aside from ensuring enough protein and fat.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I have used up all my sugar allowance from one glass of orange juice? Does this mean I can't have any other fruit or anything sweet at all if I drink juice in the morning?

this should be setting off alarm bells in your head about how silly and nonsensical the anti-sugar hysteria has become.

how can you take anyone seriously who tells you that you can have no more sugar per day that what is present in a glass of OJ?
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not matter unless you have a medical condition.

A carb is a carb, is a carb. It is basics. You do not need to know ANYTHING else, ignore the sugar limit, stick to your calories, profit.

The Credible Hulk
    This. And great first post. :flowerforyou:
  • Bluizflame
    Bluizflame Posts: 151 Member
    Options

QFT