Alcohol calories

Options
Ok, so here's a stupid (and slightly drunk) question. When we drink, we have to pee a lot. I have drank a few glasses of wine this evening, and have went to the bathroom at least three times. So, since it makes you urinate more often, am I not getting rid of those calories??? I am hoping for a positive answer lol!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    No. You aren't. You are urinating the byproduct of your liver metabolizing the alcohol.
  • FishingFan123
    FishingFan123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is a diuretic, it dries (dehydrates) you out.

Similar to the peeing effect people have when they use diuretics such as LASIX (furosemide), or hydrochorothiazide, spironolactone etc.

However, in excess alcohol over time causes liver failure (cirrhosis), those other drugs aren't known to do that specifically, but of course, like anything, THEY have their own potentially dangerous side effects too. Nothing is free of problems in life.

CONCLUSION: So no, you didn't pee the calories out, your liver metabolized the wine, & you peed your body's water out due to the complex process of the alcohol's metabolism. HTH
  • gostumpy
    gostumpy Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yup.. That's why alcoholic calories (beer for me) are the worst.. you ingest, the calories get filtered INTO your body, and the rest gets peed out.

Beer is the single biggest reason I haven't been able to lose weight :(