Smoothies/Juices

Options
I asked a question about people's favorite oatmeal and I got some great ideas! I'm hoping to have the same turnout with this thread.

I've tried a ton of combinations for smoothies and juices and they always come out bland or sour, and I didn't buy my nutri bullet for nothing, so here we are!

I would love to know what you put in your smoothie or juice :)

Replies

• DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Bump
  • greenhudler
    Options
    I actually used to manage a smoothie place, so I'll tell you my top 5 favorite combinations that aren't full of things like orange sherbert (yea, we had orange sherbert...).

1. Strawberries + Banana + Orange Juice + "spritz" (we used a spray bottle, but you can use a dropper) of vanilla extract.
    2. Blueberries + Raspberries + Strawberries
    3. Banana + milk or milk alternative + Chocolate or vanilla protein powder + 1 Tbsp peanut butter
    4. Peaches + Orange juice (I use fresh juice), strawberries + banana <
    current favorite
    5. Strawberries + grape juice + peaches +banana

Other things I like to add into some of my smoothies:
    * Flax oil (a good quality one like Barleans)
    * Fresh spinach or a scoop of Barleans Greens (they are expensive but well worth it, I have their regular greens powder and their berry flavored one)
    * Aloe juice (if you haven't used it before, use carefully -- too much can give you the runs, just a headsup)

You can also obviously add in some yogurt if you like that, I'm not big on the taste in smoothies, but many people are. If you find that your smoothie is too sour, I always add in a banana. That usually takes care of it, if not I'll add in a Tbsp of raw honey.
  • juliek1960
    Options
    Hi - I've been drinking green smoothies for a month and I've lost 20 pounds. They keep me full all day long and I forget to eat. Sometimes at night I eat a big salad, but other than that I think its a great way to get all the veggies in..

Good luck, it's hard at first but after awhile you get used to them..
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    I actually used to manage a smoothie place, so I'll tell you my top 5 favorite combinations that aren't full of things like orange sherbert (yea, we had orange sherbert...).

1. Strawberries + Banana + Orange Juice + "spritz" (we used a spray bottle, but you can use a dropper) of vanilla extract.
    2. Blueberries + Raspberries + Strawberries
    3. Banana + milk or milk alternative + Chocolate or vanilla protein powder + 1 Tbsp peanut butter
    4. Peaches + Orange juice (I use fresh juice), strawberries + banana <
    current favorite
    5. Strawberries + grape juice + peaches +banana

Other things I like to add into some of my smoothies:
    * Flax oil (a good quality one like Barleans)
    * Fresh spinach or a scoop of Barleans Greens (they are expensive but well worth it, I have their regular greens powder and their berry flavored one)
    * Aloe juice (if you haven't used it before, use carefully -- too much can give you the runs, just a headsup)

You can also obviously add in some yogurt if you like that, I'm not big on the taste in smoothies, but many people are. If you find that your smoothie is too sour, I always add in a banana. That usually takes care of it, if not I'll add in a Tbsp of raw honey.

Thank you! Lot's of great ideas, I can't wait to try them (:
    Hi - I've been drinking green smoothies for a month and I've lost 20 pounds. They keep me full all day long and I forget to eat. Sometimes at night I eat a big salad, but other than that I think its a great way to get all the veggies in..

I think they're a great way to get the fruits and veggies in :) congrats on your weight loss!
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love my Nutribullet!
    My favourite recipe:
    Strawberries+blueberries+melon+Spinach+avocado+plain Greek yogurt+soy milk+ground flax seed+cashews+100% gold standard whey-French vanilla creme+water
    It's a lot to put together but it's so creamy and delicious!
    If that is too much I would suggest strawberries+banana+spinach+almonds+milk+water
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My fave is two large hand fulls of spinach, one hand full of blueberries, some Greek yogurt, vanilla protein powder and some almond milk. YUM.

Another is a medium banana, about 5 strawberries, vanilla protein powder, and orange juice.

Last is espresso, vanilla protein powder and some skim milk or milk replacement (I don't like almond milk in this!).

Some of the ones on this site have been good, too! smoothie-handbook.com

Good Luck!
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup water
    1 medium/large apple
    2 cups spinach
    1 banana
    handful blueberries
    handful raspberries

~250 cals. ~12g fiber.

for ~50 fewer calories, add another cup of spinach, double the berries and skip the banana.
  • DeterminedToLoseIt02
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I'm SO excited to finally make use of my Nutribullet. :D
  • LaLa482
    LaLa482 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My two faves are:

Green-
    1.5 or so cups of spinach
    .5 a golden delicious apple or pear
    .5 cup of frozen broccoli
    2 teaspoons fiber powder
    1 tablespoon of chia seeds
    water

Protein-
    1 scoop of raw fusion vanilla
    1 tablespoon of peanut/almond/cashew (whatever my husband made this week) butter
    8oz unsweetened almond milk
    1 tablespoon of chia seeds
    2 teaspoons fiber powder
    1oz of sugar free salted caramel syrup (right now it's salted caramel).
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    I like:
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup green grapes
    1/2 cup fresh pineapple chunks
    1/2 medium banana peeled
    2 cups fresh spinach
    1/2 cup ice cubes

No matter what, i always put 1 cup spinach in my smoothies. You can barely taste it (!) and for someone like me, who struggles with getting my greens in, it does wonders.
  • freshfruitfitness
    Options
    DETOX JUICE
    2 celery stalks
    3/4 (4cm) cucumber
    1 handful parsley
    2cm piece ginger root
    1/2 lemon
    coconut water or water
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    My go-to breakfast smoothie:
    1/2 frozen banana
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1 scoop Greens +
    1 cup spinach
    water or some type of milk

This usually keeps me full until lunch and I don't need to worry about getting my greens for the day!

go-to juice:
    4 stalks celery
    1/2 cucumber
    kale stems (the leaves don't juice well with my juicer)
    1/2 lemon
    ginger (about the size of my thumb)

I usually have a green juice as my afternoon snack - it keeps me going through my afternoon workout and into dinner.
  • dyarbro95
    Options
    What recipe are you using juliek1960 for your smoothies?
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • cwatts0
    cwatts0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas.