skinny fat girl, calorie surplus or deficit?

Options
Hi,
I'm a skinny fat girl, 5'8 134-137lbs and 28% body fat. I've been weight training consistently for 6 months now and have not seen results other than in strength. The first 5 months I stayed the same weight, and there has only been minor inches lost, nothing noticable, not even in my clothes. I can literally pull inches of skin everywhere, and am super jiggly. I would like to gain muscle, but most advice I've gotten is to eat at a deficit. However, I recently lost 6.5 lbs from the flu and looked like a flabbier version of myself. All this is so frustrating when I've been lifting for months. So I suppose what I;m wondering is... Do I eat at a surplus and see if I can gain lean muscle and then focus on a deficit to loose the body fat? Additional details.... (I am vegetarian, I currently do New Rules of lifting, walk a lot, and waitress, so I'm not focusing so much on cardio currently)

Replies

• LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You should maintain, or eat more. You can't gain muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    At 134 and 5'8", I vote surplus. (I'm 5'9" and 160).
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    You don't gain muscle on a deficit. If that's your goal, then eat a slight surplus.

People are probably telling you to eat a deficit because of your 28% body fat figure. They are correct that you will lose fat that way, and you will even reveal those muscles that are hiding under the fat when the fat cells shrink...and it may appear that your muscles are growing larger because of this even though that's not technically what is going on.

I would personally eat a slight surplus on lifting days and a slight deficit on rest or cardio days. That way you do a body recomp which is slower than either gaining muscle or losing fat, but accomplishes the same thing without drastic changes to your calorie level.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would say that you want to get to about 20% body fat before you start bulking..so eat in 500 per day calorie deficit and stick to a regimen of compound lifts...once you get to 20% body fat go for the bulk..
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    What is your protein macro set at? Building and supporting muscle requires protein and fat. Ive heard multiple things but it sounds like 0.5gr of protein for each pound of body weight is the minimum with the goal being 1gr per pound of either LBM or weight. So 67gr being the minimum you should consume, 134gr being more ideal. I think this applies whether you chose deficit or surplus. Personally if you dont have much to lose, I would eat maintenance for a while and see what happens.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It takes time to see major physical changes.

I decided to eat at maintenance after my last baby (15mos now) and do recomp. I did some surplus, too. I was able to get some good strength gains. Only now am I focusing on a deficit. I wanted the muscle first. I've done it the other way with my first kid and was strong, but little muscle to show for it. This time I'm seeing more of what I want.

Eta: I'm still pretty fat (lower 20's), but starting to see some definition.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out with weight training, you can gain muscle on a slight deficit, a slight surplus, maintenance, whatever you like. If I were in your shoes, wanting to get stronger, I'd focus on the weight training to begin with and just listen to your body as far as calories go for a few weeks. If you're hungry, eat, and don't worry about it.

I expect that 6 pounds you lost with the flu is just water weight, and you'll gain it back quickly once you eat normally for a bit. You'll want that energy in your muscles when you start your weight routine.
  • bitterwaitress
    bitterwaitress Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone..... so I get the eating at a deficit to lower body fat would expose the muscles that I have, however I feel as if I have none.... my upper body is very thin... so I will try to eat at a surplus on training days and maintenance on off days.... macros aren't all that, so I'll have to revamp my diet for sure!!!!
  • bitterwaitress
    bitterwaitress Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It takes time to see major physical changes.

I decided to eat at maintenance after my last baby (15mos now) and do recomp. I did some surplus, too. I was able to get some good strength gains. Only now am I focusing on a deficit. I wanted the muscle first. I've done it the other way with my first kid and was strong, but little muscle to show for it. This time I'm seeing more of what I want.

Eta: I'm still pretty fat (lower 20's), but starting to see some definition.

So, have you been eating at maintenance for 15 months? what exactly is a recomp? I know I need to build muscle, since I have none!