are using the weight machines considered lifting?

2»

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Interesting... Does any one know any weight lifting exercises or machines that could firm your back? Right now I'm working on my back, my arms, my stomach and my thighs. I don't want to get bulky but I don't want to be flabby either. I want to get toned! :D

Back, arms, stomach and thighs? So basically your entire body except your shoulders and calves? Unless you have an odd definition of "bulky", lifting while dieting will NOT make you bulky. I'd suggest the same beginner programs I just posted for you as well.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    The problem with machines is they tend to be "isolation exercises" - that is, they only target a single muscle group. You have to do a lot of machine exercises to work your entire body, and even well-equipped gyms can miss an important muscle group in their machine collection. But you can get a decent full-body workout if you do a good machine circuit.

"Compound exercises" work many different muscles. Your body is not really designed to use one muscle at a time. Most natural movements use many muscle groups working together to get a job done. A deep squat will work your calves, quads, hamstrings, hip adductors, glutes, back, abs, and obliques. Because you hit so many muscles with one exercise, compound lifts are a very efficient way to work out.

But there's more to it than that. A big component of being strong is really coordination - teaching your hamstrings and glutes to work with your quads and calves during a deep squat. In the beginning, you will make a lot of your strength gains by improving your neuro-muscular coordination, and only a small amount will be through muscle growth.

Using machines, your neurological adaptation will go to learning how to do leg curls and hip abductions. I couldn't tell you the last time I needed to do a hip abduction in my real life. But I deadlift something - picking something up off the floor - dozens of time every day.

The basic compound lifts: full squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pull-up (or lat pulldown), and bent-over row. Do those 6 lifts and you'll get a good full-body workout, you'll have a lot of useable every-day strength for your real life, and you won't have to spend hours in the gym bouncing between 15 different machines.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Another good option for a SAHM who's new to lifting and self-conscious at the gym is buy yourself a kettlebell and start on Alysia Gadsen's free online programs. See livefitrevolution.org. She has advice on what size to buy there, too. Here's that link.

http://livefitrevolution.org/?p=190257

Yes, I recommend this a lot, and no, I'm not affiliated. I've never done her eating program, I just like the free kettlebell classes. And a kettlebell or two is a lot easier to have around the house than free weights sets.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,912 Member
    Lifting any resistance for an exercise is lifting regardless if from a machine or with free weights. Machines have their place in exercise, so don't feel as if using them is taboo in the gym. If one incorporates both machines and free weights, they would have a pretty well rounded program put together.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Interesting... Does any one know any weight lifting exercises or machines that could firm your back? Right now I'm working on my back, my arms, my stomach and my thighs. I don't want to get bulky but I don't want to be flabby either. I want to get toned! :D

Deadlifts

They work it all.
  • maca416
    maca416 Posts: 142 Member
    I'm getting great results using a home machine gym & a few free weights.

Love my machine
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    hi everyone, i signed up yesterday to MFP and am still pretty new to all this. i have a very silly to some, but i am serious. ive been told not to be afraid of lifting weight because it won't bulk me up. i want a flatter leaner belly and i know there is is not spot reduction for that. Ive also been told that if i do too much cardio and only cardio i will just end up looking like I am "skinny fat" which I dont want! I want a flat lean looking belly! :smile: Now back to the question. I am thinking about joining a gym again and I am wondering, if using the machines are the same workout as to using barbells with weights? I will be joining a uni-sex gym and will be a bit embarrassed doing barbells, especially when there are only males around, but if i use the machines, for some reason, ill feel a bit better (if that makes any sense). And just another question. are body weight exercises good to do if i cannot access a gym? I am a stay at home mom and i know there will be days i wont be able to go everyday to the gym. Thanks again in advanced!

Hi.. so i went to a trainer appointment and peppered her with questions.

she said to alternate full body workouts - doing things that work multiple muscle groups at once.. with targeted lifting using the free weights. She said that the machines will help you learn form, but the free weights are better. She told me to go whatever cardio I like.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Yes, free weights are "lifting". Like the previous poster said, they are better than nothing, but barbells are better.

I'd suggest a good, solid, beginner's program like Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Stronglifts 5x5 may have a simple routine, but it's far from a beginners routine. Too many nuances to get the proper form right without injury. A beginners routine is on the machines where you're less likely to hurt yourself.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Yes. There are advantages to using free weights but machines do have their place. Find a program that works for you and stick with it. Don't get sucked into these silly debates.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    I prefer machines because they allow me to go to failure without a spotter. I also prefer isolating muscles and working on them separately as opposed to the compound lifts. With a compound lift the weakest muscle group involved gets a great workout, while the strongest muscle group...not so much.

BTW, there is no single lift that "works it all" as a previous poster stated.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Lifting the weight machines are considered lifting.

6795000_700b.jpg