Muscle gains in time terms

Options
Do some bodies build muscle quicker than others even if all work out and nutrition factors are the same?

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes. Genetics factor in
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Even with identical heigh weight and prior experience genetics plays a role.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I want to just drop a "Yes" in here, but I suspect this thread is a setup for a "I get bulky real quick like" type claim.

Hoping I'm wrong.
  • lil_lizt
    lil_lizt Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I build muscle quite quickly due to my genetics and body type :) I don't tend to get bulky though
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Haha davpul. No, I wouldn't know! I've never really exercised but when I was at school I remember being lucky if I tried anything sporty. I've been doing 10 mins cardio/weights at home for a few months and can see my jelly legs changing already. I just wondered if that was possible already.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Haha davpul. No, I wouldn't know! I've never really exercised but when I was at school I remember being lucky if I tried anything sporty. I've been doing 10 mins cardio/weights at home for a few months and can see my jelly legs changing already. I just wondered if that was possible already.

Highly unlikely you are building muscle with only 10 minutes of cardio/weights in just a few weeks. Very likely you are losing fat.

I lift heavy 3-5 days a week for an hour (usually 2 leg days) and it takes a couple of months to see a difference. I do put on lean mass easy.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options

If your muscles were really flabby/underused, then even 10 minutes a day could make them look and feel different, yes. I don't know what that's called; it's not exactly building muscle, because it's just actually using the muscle you have to do more than walk ;) But it is a muscle change, and it'll stay like you see if you keep on doing it.

If you want to progress, more time and probably more weight will be needed :) You didn't say how heavy you lift, but I'm guessing it's not tons if it's only 10 minutes :) Or it's really darned heavy and reps aren't much possible, lol.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Yes, I would say they were underused. That's exactly what I mean. I have hand weights. They barely feel like weights. I think they're a lb each! I've been doing it for 5 months now I've been going easy cause I have bad knees and back from poor lifting of a disabled boy and terrible posture. And my 2 year old likes to climb under me to get my attention! I'm hoping to get new weights from Santa!!