Need Help Eating More Calories!

Options
So I'm recovering from restriction/starvation and I am trying to eat HEALTHY CALORIES! Right now I am 5'2 84.5 pounds... I already know nuts are high in calories, been eating tons of almonds. But I feel STUFFED after what I've eaten today and its only lunch! This is what I've eaten so far today:

Breakfast: Quaker Instant Original Oatmeal with Blueberries Strawberries Raspberries & Almonds

Snack: Whole Milk Plain Yogurt with Strawberries

Lunch: Half of Ambrosia Apple with Carrots & Almonds

Like seriously I'm stuffed I can't eat another bite! I want to do this the healthy way, not fill my body with a crapload of junk food till I barf way. So any high-calorie healthy foods? I also have jif creamy peanut butter, but that's high in sugar so worth it or not?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    A nice steak and pasta.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    Second the recommandation on pasta, but also rice, steak, and eggs (which aren't that high calorie wise) but don't forget your old friend butter - it is healthy, but also (being basically fat) very high in calories. Try to add some where appropriate.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Your stomach will empty out and you'll have room for dinner. At this point in your recovery, I would definitely focus more on nutritious foods that are high in good fats and calories, and a little less on fruits and vegetables. I see you are eating whole fat options, so that's great. Macademia nuts are delicious and have a very high amount of the healthiest nut fat you can find.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Fats are a good but I tend to go with Olive Oil.

Get yourself a nice extra virgin olive oil (Greek is my personal preference) and dip bits of very thinly sliced bread into it and eat those.

The taste is great, lots of calories and really healthy :-)
  • hannahgetto
    Options
    How I recovered was juice, lots and lots of juice. It is high in calories, good for you (100% organic only), and does not make you stuffed and bloated. Also, sweet potatoes, rice, smoothies.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Add a scoop of protein powder to your yogurt for an extra 100 calories or so. Avocados are very healthy and high in calories. Also, give yourself some time to adapt to a new way of eating. Add 100 calories or so every few days instead of trying to take them in all at once.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am trying to recover yet again as well. Been to treatment 10 times so been through the refeeding process.Basically..no matter what you are gonna feel full and just have to push through it. I would suggest going to see a nutritionist as they help a lot with this process and can get you on a meal plan. Push through the fullness because then one day you wake up ravenous because your metabolism spikes. It's crazy. Good luck!
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eggs, protein powder, cheese, olive oil, avocado, glass of milk, pasta, wholewheat bread/toast, natural peanut butter, beef, lentils and other beans, full fat greek yoghurt, nuts :)
  • fizzik
    Options
    There seems to be very little protein in your diet. I would try and eat more protein. Also looking for calorie dense foods should look at cheese, would also like to reiterate high protein.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Part of recovery is loosening your definitions of what is good or bad and healthy and unhealthy. This step is pretty important in obtaining a healthy relationship with food but also ensuring you meet your nutritional needs. Up your protein and fats while keeping carbs to 40% or less of your total calories - the latter seems helpful in reducing risk of Refeed Syndrome according to this review:
    Abstract
    PURPOSE OF REVIEW:
    This paper reviews recent publications about the physiology associated with adaptation to malnutrition and refeeding (including the refeeding syndrome) and clinical outcomes of refeeding paradigms.
    RECENT FINDINGS:
    A number of recent reviews and original publications have highlighted important differences from the assumptions underpinning the current refeeding guidelines for patients with anorexia nervosa. The notion of 'starting low and going slow' with the prescription of daily calories seems unlikely to be important in preventing refeeding syndrome. Recent publications suggest this approach does not necessarily add to safety in the refeeding process but rather the contrary. It typically results in weight loss and protracts hospitalization and nutritional recovery. Rather, the composition of macronutrients, in particular avoiding a high proportion of calories from carbohydrates, appears to be more important than the absolute number of calories. The means of initial refeeding appears increasingly important in this process, particularly following descriptions of postprandial hypoglycemia.
    SUMMARY:
    The study supports a review of the current guidelines. Evidence for the use of continuous feeding strategies with less than 40% of calories from carbohydrates is presented. This approach has important implications for the prevention of the refeeding syndrome as well as the safety and efficiency with which refeeding may occur for children and adolescents with anorexia nervosa in hospital.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21670680
  • jrc2020
    Options
    So I'm recovering from restriction/starvation and I am trying to eat HEALTHY CALORIES! Right now I am 5'2 84.5 pounds... I already know nuts are high in calories, been eating tons of almonds. But I feel STUFFED after what I've eaten today and its only lunch! This is what I've eaten so far today:

Breakfast: Quaker Instant Original Oatmeal with Blueberries Strawberries Raspberries & Almonds

Snack: Whole Milk Plain Yogurt with Strawberries

Lunch: Half of Ambrosia Apple with Carrots & Almonds

Like seriously I'm stuffed I can't eat another bite! I want to do this the healthy way, not fill my body with a crapload of junk food till I barf way. So any high-calorie healthy foods? I also have jif creamy peanut butter, but that's high in sugar so worth it or not?

How long have you been eating like this?

Honestly, what you're doing sounds great. I don't know your portion sizes so I can't say for sure, but you're eating healthy whole foods until you're full, that's perfect.

I'm worried you might expect results too quickly. Bodies are slow to adapt! At your height and weight, you are likely to gain 20+ pounds on your way to good health. It takes a long time to gain that kind of weight. Be patient. Set reasonable goals.

You should be looking ahead 6 to 12 months. You should expect to gain a few pounds per month, maximum. Don't rush it. You could potentially gain 5x faster than that if you stuffed yourself full of cupcakes and Coca Cola, but that's not worth it, that doesn't lead to long-lasting wellness. It's better to take it slow and eat right. Keep it up!

Note I'm also just beginning a journey to gaining ~20 pounds. I've been eating more than I used to for about one month now and I've gained 2 pounds.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Please eat more protein.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Pizza.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    You need protein badly!! Go to gnc or the vitamin shoppe and get a good protein powder asap
  • I used to have that problem; I've found that lifting weights and doing resistant cardio workouts definitely makes one hungry. I've upped my calories from 3-600 a day to 1200-2500, and I've even LOST weight and inches since this change. Energy levels are great too!
    I do admit that some days I don't break 1,000 still, but there just isn't enough time in the day.
    Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Please eat more protein.

and ice cream.
  • los1284
    los1284 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Figure out what your macros are and start to aim for it everyday, its all a matter of consistency!!!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! Good protein, good fats and good caloric amount. Hope you're not allergic. Nutella. Not as good but something different. Buttered popcorn. Good fiber and butter was already mentioned. The nutritionist suggestion was a great idea for giving you tools with your recovery. I wish you well.
  • ksheeler13
    ksheeler13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Eat think thin bars they are really good and have a ton of protein !!

what a about protein shakes