Annoying weight gain

Options
Grrrrr so last saturday I weighed 190.8lbs, then this saturday I weighed 192.6lbs. I'm pretty annoyed... Last week, however, I did start lifting weights but have only done it 2-3 times. Before that it was strictly cardio. I just cannot see how I could gain that much weight in such a short time unless it is muscle gain.. My fat percentages went from 27.7% to 25.5%.

Any suggestions? As far as building muscle mass I am clueless lol.

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Water weight in your muscles from the weight lifting. As unlikely as it is to actually be fat, it is even less likely to be muscle gain since you are (I assume) maintaining a deficit of calories.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Water weight in your muscles from the weight lifting. As unlikely as it is to actually be fat, it is even less likely to be muscle gain since you are (I assume) maintaining a deficit of calories.

^ Yes, what QuietBloom said. You're not going to gain nearly 3 pounds of muscle in a week! Without serious lifting, 5 days a week or more, it's unlikely you could put on more than 10 pounds a year unless you are a genetic freak (see http://scoobysworkshop.com/muscle-gain-calculator/ and the study referred to there).

It's water retention. I have similar fluctuations. Could be that your muscles are retaining water to repair damage, or it could be you had a lot of sodium in the last couple days, which will also cause you to retain water. If you had a Thanksgiving dinner, even with careful portion control you're likely to have had more sodium than usual.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Water retention. It doesn't matter how often you did it vs cardio. ANY new exercise will make you retain water for muscle repair.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I vary by as much as 5 pounds at anytime during the day. Stop worrying
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Here is a visual for you from a daily weigher. I started lifting June 29th. It will fix itself in a week or three :wink:

215 now

libra3.jpg
  • Jkn922
    Jkn922 Posts: 74
    Options
    Same boat, probably a little worse but working on losing it again. Worst thing it shows in my face so predict a week or two before it goes down.

Keep going :)
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all. I will be focused more on the fat % from now on. I may even start measuring waist, arms, etc to see the minor changes too. I'm used to a steady drop in weight so I kind of freaked out when I saw that. The second time around losing this weight seems like my body is fighting back now. The first time it was a consistant 1-2 pounds per week.
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Here is a visual for you from a daily weigher. I started lifting June 29th. It will fix itself in a week or three :wink:

215 now

libra3.jpg

What did you use to generate that chart?
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    It's an Android App called Libra but there are lots of similar apps. It's kind of boring until you get some data loaded to see the trends. I have daily weigh in's charted for about 10 months now.