Little things to lose extra calories during the day

Options
I tend to park as far away from the door as I can at the shopping center, or grocery store. If there is a ramp, and steps offered, I always chose the steps.

Even at work, when it's very cold outside, I will go out for my breaks without my coat on to force myself to shiver for the next five-to-fifteen minutes.

I don't even know if any of this is helpful, but it's my small things, during the day, to lose extra calories.

Do you do anything like this?

Replies

• 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I do every one of those things. I've also gotten into the annoying habit (for co-workers) of bouncing my legs under my desk. It can't hurt right?
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    Oh, that's a good one! I may start doing that lol.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how refreshing it is to see a topic where 'lose' is spelled correctly? 9 times out of 10, it would be something like 'Top 10 things to loose weight'. Or 'Help, I can't loose my pudgy arms!'. etc.

:flowerforyou:
  • Wildstorms
    Wildstorms Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are typing the extra 'o' to aid calorie loss ;P

I try to fidget more. Run up and downstairs at home, sometime missing a step.
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I take short walks whenever I can, 10-15 minutes usually. Especially after meals because that helps my blood sugar. I work a desk job, so I will stand up every 30 minutes or so and do some stretching and squats. I use the bathroom on the other side of the building so that I have to walk further.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I do all of those! I also do impromptu bicep curls with anything heavy-ish I happen to be carrying, forward lunges to the printer and back, and calf raises/leg lifts at my desk. I don't know if it makes a huge difference, but it's nice to feel like I'm making healthy choices throughout the day and not just sitting there.
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    Same here. I work at a desk so, if I don't do these little things, I feel like I've sat in a blob for 9 hours and have done nothing constructive.
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    I'm glad that I could make you laugh! And thank you for the wish of good luck. I appreciate it, really.

Have a good day! :happy:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Parking farther away, taking the stairs...yes. Making myself cold for a slight increase in calorie burn? Never!!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm shakin' no to the shiver diet too!
  • kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Can I just say how refreshing it is to see a topic where 'lose' is spelled correctly? 9 times out of 10, it would be something like 'Top 10 things to loose weight'. Or 'Help, I can't loose my pudgy arms!'. etc.

:flowerforyou:

ITA! I always get tickled thinking about "how to loose pudgy arms"--are they trying to pry the fat off?
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I park far away from the store, take stairs, walk a few extra laps around a store to get what I need (I mainly do these things to "squeeze more movement out of my day").
    I dont do them in place of regular exercise though.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    when I need to go shopping, i don't walk, i run...coming back, doing "weight lifting" with the shopping bags...
  • KingCharlesTheFat
    Options
    I try to add more activity by standing when I might otherwise lay in a desk chair. I read and do at least half my computer work standing up. I like it better.
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    To clarify: I don't do this in the place of regular exercise. I do it as an addendum to exercise, to keep my body moving.

Now, judging from two comments already that have been either snobbery, or mockery, I believe I am done with the "community" portion of this website.

I get enough garbage from the people in my life already. I don't need it from people here. Have your message board back. I'll stick to my homepage.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Shivering burns calories? How much? Lol my job wont let me wear a sweater so I shivered a lot this week. Didn't know my job was doing me a favor.
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    I started off by making a decision not to use my car for journeys under 1-mile. Actually, now the car is gone (easy for me, living in a city, I appreciate that) ...

The British Cycling team have been massively successful by making a lot of small incremental tweaks. Each one adds little on its own, but added together ...

So, yeah, take the stairs, park further away, definitely. As the OP said, do these things as an addendum to the main lifestyle changes, not as the sole strategy to weight loss ...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Rather than shivering, just go for a walk during your break...with a jacket on.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    To clarify: I don't do this in the place of regular exercise. I do it as an addendum to exercise, to keep my body moving.

Now, judging from two comments already that have been either snobbery, or mockery, I believe I am done with the "community" portion of this website.

I get enough garbage from the people in my life already. I don't need it from people here. Have your message board back. I'll stick to my homepage.
    you are going to flounce from the forums because you didnt like a few comments?

how about just placing those users on ignore if you dont want to see what they have to say?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to apologize to you. Going outside without a jacket to shake calories off is plain stupid. Sorry if that's harsh...but people need healthy ways to burn calories...not crazy **** like that.

^This. So much this. That's so dumb to force yourself to shiver because you think it's going to help burn some extra calories. Hope you've got some good medical insurance and money to invest in a lot of cold medicine and kleenex.