Ideas for one day per week workouts?

Options
I know, I know... if I REALLY wanted to work out I would MAKE it fit into my schedule... but you really don't understand. I'm recovering from a broken foot that has left me out of work so I can't do much right now and my doctor wants me to take it easy for a couple of months while the bone strengthens. By the time I am able to work out at a gym, my work hours will be reduced to accommodate my school schedule and I will have no money for a gym membership and no time for a home workout. My schedule will be as follows:

Mon-Fri
7am-8:30am: wake up, review school notes and do homework.
8:30am-8:45am: Get ready for work.
9am-4pm: work (lunch break is just long enough for me to eat lunch)
4pm-4:15pm: drive home
4:15pm-4:45pm: somehow shower, eat, dress in uniform and grab my books for school
5:30pm-10:30pm: SCHOOL
10:30pm-11:15pm: drive home......
11:15pm-12am: start homework and get ready for bed
12am-1am: TRY to fall asleep.
1am-7am: sleeeeep.
7am: REPEAT.

I LITERALLY will have no time to work out during the week. FOR REAL. It is NOT an excuse!!! I don't even know how I'll get assignments finished in 2 interrupted hours a day. By Saturday I'll need to run errands since everywhere is closed on Sundays: food shopping, cleaning supplies (etc.), laundry. I've decided Saturday will be my doing things day, including cleaning my apartment and cooking my meal for the week in bulk and freezing them because... when else will I have the time??:sad: This means Sunday is dedicated to working out, studying and somehow fitting some time in there for my boyfriend/friends/family.

SO... my big question IS: How do I maximize the benefits of my workout if I only have one day to do it?

Replies

• workout_ninja
    workout_ninja Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    can you walk to work or school? Even if its too far, you could park maybe a mile and half away so that is a 3 mile walk daily?
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I won't have the time. I have seriously been trying to come up with ways to sneak stuff in like that. I'd have to cut into study time to walk to work... and it's on a super busy road. I really will only have time during the weekend.
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I'm thinking if it were me, I'd get in a 30min. or so workout first thing Saturday and Sunday morning. That way you get at least 2 in. Both strength or calisthenics if it were me. Because from the sounds of it, you do a lot of fast moving as is! Then maybe Sunday evening go for a long walk or run for some focused cardio (I would walk so not to hurt your foot). But I'd steal 30mins. or so Sat. and Sunday for strength training to get max benefits with limited time. And there should be a few variations so that you don't harm your foot. Good luck and don't run yourself too ragged!
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    I do like the idea of doing something Saturday AND Sunday. I wanted advice because I'm so overwhelmed thinking about the next year that I find myself hitting a wall when I try to add more into my schedule. My problem solving abilities have gone out the window the past couple of weeks. I think something both mornings and maybe even both nights would be a good idea. God I hope this year goes fast. :indifferent:
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Can you use the "grease the groove" approach to at least your strength workouts. So in this way you study for 30 minutes and then get up out of your chair and crank out 10 press-ups, study again, get up and do 20 squats, study again and do a few pullups or variation.

In that way you could find yourself doing far more training through the week than you would imagine and also get those essential breaks from your studies and/or work.
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    That's a splendid idea! I bet my brain would love the breaks!! Thanks so much for the suggestions!
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    I do like the idea of doing something Saturday AND Sunday. I wanted advice because I'm so overwhelmed thinking about the next year that I find myself hitting a wall when I try to add more into my schedule. My problem solving abilities have gone out the window the past couple of weeks. I think something both mornings and maybe even both nights would be a good idea. God I hope this year goes fast. :indifferent:

That schedule is going to be hard, but it'll be worth it once you get done. I would just stick to the 2 mornings and one night. You need one night to just chill out and be still or hang with friends. If you do the mornings and then the walk, that'll be 3 workouts a week and better than most people get! I like what yogicarl said about taking breaks and doing some calisthenics or something, but I couldn't do that. Once I'm dug in, I'm dug in. LOL Glad I'm not in college anymore! My husband is and he is ready to be DONE. But if you find yourself getting tense and needing a break, it would be a great way to get some exercise in and 'break the cycle' of studying. You'll get through it and don't be too hard on yourself if you are tired and need to just take a break. In the end, it all balances out. Progress not perfection!
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    LOL Glad I'm not in college anymore!

I already did all of this!!! i already have an English degree... but I can't do much with it so I'm headed back. I was so, so, SO glad to be done with it all but... ah, well. Life I guess? lol

don't be too hard on yourself if you are tired and need to just take a break. In the end, it all balances out. Progress not perfection!
    Thanks for saying that. I have it so set in my head that a schedule I build for myself is rigid. I joined this site to help me get on the right track to a new a permanent lifestyle... if it takes a little longer to look the way I want, so be it... as long as there is some sense of progress along the way.

P.S. I love how supportive the majority of people are in these forums. It's an awesome environment.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Some people do 20 min workouts four times a week and lose weight.
  • Jewlz280
    Options
    don't be too hard on yourself if you are tired and need to just take a break. In the end, it all balances out. Progress not perfection!
    Thanks for saying that. I have it so set in my head that a schedule I build for myself is rigid. I joined this site to help me get on the right track to a new a permanent lifestyle... if it takes a little longer to look the way I want, so be it... as long as there is some sense of progress along the way.

P.S. I love how supportive the majority of people are in these forums. It's an awesome environment.
    [/quote]

Yes! Progress over the long term has really helped me. It's taken me around 2 years to lose 50lbs. and then I joined here to lose about 35 more. I just try to think in weeks or months now or even the year when things don't go according to plan. Even if I do something and think shoot! I went way over I know that it's one meal and no big deal. It will balance out with the other 30 days of the month or 300+ of the year!

It can be super supportive on here! I've been on I think 90days now, and the vast majority of people are helpful, straight-forward, and knowledgeable. You'll see some crazy stuff, but it's usually in good fun! Or a troll. Lord help me the troll posts on here can be epic! Now if I could figure out how they post the gifs! HA!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without "exercise". Sometimes life isn't all that conducive to a solid exercise regime. But all you have to do is eat less calories than you burn and you can lose weight regardless.

As for moving more, park farther away - even if the walk is only 5 extra minutes each way to work and when you leave work. Try walking while eating a sandwich for lunch. And you spend 45 minutes getting ready in the morning that doesn't include a shower? (You said you shower between work and school)... can you do some planks and air squats in the morning while getting ready?
  • F00LofaT00K
    Options
    And you spend 45 minutes getting ready in the morning that doesn't include a shower? (You said you shower between work and school)... can you do some planks and air squats in the morning while getting ready?

8:30-8:45 (15 minutes) to get dressed, grab breakfast and leave.