Doctors Advice?

Hello, today I went to the doctors under personal circumstances however I did mention that I was trying to lose weight. I mentioned that I was trying to eat a maximum of 1200 kcals and she was shocked and said that I should be eating at least 1500...
Do you agree?
I'm going to listen to my doctors advice but just wanting everyone elses opinions

Replies

• Jkn922
    Jkn922 Posts: 74
    Depends on factors - age, weight now, what weight you want to be, exercise and eating habits
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Depends on factors - age, weight now, what weight you want to be, exercise and eating habits

This. 1200 is typically too low for most people though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Considering your 18 with only 40 lbs to go.. most likely.. if you are active the it could be as much as 2000 calories. So what is your height weight and fitness routine?
  • I'm 5'7, and 168 pounds but I want to go down to 125-130 (previous weight I was)
    I exercise 30-60 minutes everyday (only light to medium exercises though)
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    The 1200 calorie setting is generally not recommended unless you are 4 foot tall. What you should need to do is set your calorie goal to maintenance your weight, then eat below that if you want to lose weight or follow the guides below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut

Traditional weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, so you're fine there. Those are guidelines so a more accurate method is .5-1% of your bodyweight a week (so if you weigh 145lbs the most you should be losing would be around 1.45lbs/week)

The whole 80/20% statement is just beyond silly. The truth is that it depends on the individual, how hard a person finds the tasks of dieting and training. I find training easy, but I find dieting hard because I am close to my goal weight. Others find dieting easy, but training hard. You need to find the right balance and there is an element of trial and error here.

If there's anything you get out of this post it would be to visit those links and watch this guide below and the rest of the series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    At your age and weight, 1500 is a lot more reasonable, healthier, and more sustainable, you could probably even go higher. (unless you are really short, like under 5ft tall)

I took a look at your profile and just want to mention...The Biggest Loser may be promoted as a "reality" show, but it's far from reality. Their "week" is actually more like 10-14 days, they are bullied into their workout even when the staff doctors suggest rest after injuries, and they are instructed to stop drinking any liquid, even water, for 24 hours before a weigh in in order to record the lowest possible losses. It's definitely inspiring to see people lose so much so fast...but it's not reality.
  • The 1200 calorie setting is generally not recommended unless you are 4 foot tall. What you should need to do is set your calorie goal to maintenance your weight, then eat below that if you want to lose weight or follow the guides below:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1071202-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut

Traditional weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, so you're fine there. Those are guidelines so a more accurate method is .5-1% of your bodyweight a week (so if you weigh 145lbs the most you should be losing would be around 1.45lbs/week)

The whole 80/20% statement is just beyond silly. The truth is that it depends on the individual, how hard a person finds the tasks of dieting and training. I find training easy, but I find dieting hard because I am close to my goal weight. Others find dieting easy, but training hard. You need to find the right balance and there is an element of trial and error here.

If there's anything you get out of this post it would be to visit those links and watch this guide below and the rest of the series:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk

Thank you ever so much you have been so helpful. Honestly I find training easier than what I thought I would but dieting on the 1200 kcal has been hard and I'm constantly hungry.
    I will go look at those links now. :)
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    I am 6 foot 2 and eat around 1400 calories per day.

I have lost a total of 136 pounds. (36 since I got on here).

So do what you want.

If you eat 1200 and feel like crap...you need to up your calories. We are all different. Do what works for you. Don't starve yourself though. If you feel like you need to eat...eat...just make it something healthy.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    I'm 5'7, and 168 pounds but I want to go down to 125-130 (previous weight I was)
    I exercise 30-60 minutes everyday (only light to medium exercises though)

Yes you should be eating more. Set your goal to lose 1 pound a week and see what MFP sets your calorie goal to. And remember you are supposed the back your exercise calories.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Hello, today I went to the doctors under personal circumstances however I did mention that I was trying to lose weight. I mentioned that I was trying to eat a maximum of 1200 kcals and she was shocked and said that I should be eating at least 1500...
    Do you agree?
    I'm going to listen to my doctors advice but just wanting everyone elses opinions

Sensible doctor. Yes, I agree that 1,200 is generally too few for most people.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    I agree with your doctor.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    I agree with your doctor.

Yes. Your doctor's advice is good and should definitely be listened to!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    smart doctor
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    In...

...for doctors who point their patients in the right direction (although I would argue depending on lots of factors that 1500 still isn't enough).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    I'm 5'9", 160lbs, 33, and eat 2000 calories a day to lose a half pound a week.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    I'm 19, 5'6", around 150 lb., and active if I include exercises. I like to stay above my BMR (if you're not familiar, it's the number of calories your body needs to perform basic functions. Since my BMR is about 1540, I eat between 1610 (to lose 1 pound/week according to MFP) and 2110 (to maintain my weight), but I usually opt for a slow weight loss (.5 lb/week) at 1860. I was 168 two years ago and the first ten pounds came off very quickly, so this slower path is frustrating, but I'm not hungry and I have lots of energy! I've shifted my focus from just getting skinny to being healthy.

Also, assess if your goal is realistic. I was 125 pounds once too, but that was in eighth grade before I had any curves. Also, I only maintained that for a few months after a weight watchers diet got me there. I'm aiming for 140-145, which I'm confident I can maintain!
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Well yes. I believe your doctor is right 1500 is probably better if you are going to be perfect everyday... but if your likely to over shoot 1500 a few times a week a low daily goal may give you just the cushion you need.

Speaking as someone who has almost too much muscle ( I love it but some say its too much ) and has lost 74lbs... Here is my take on it. If your daily GOAL is 1200 and you make that goal say 4 times in a week but 3 times in that week your over a fair amount say around 1800 which is pretty easy to do and you didn't work out all week but you did work out say 4 times, 2 of which were quite hard but the other two a little on the lighter side well then by weeks end your average would be just fine.

Yes 7 days a week of your net calories being under 1200 is dangerous. is that likely? well that would depend on you. Are you the over achiever type who is absolutely going to sick to your goals and adhere to them 100% of the time or are you likely to slip up here and there?
    Personally I think working weekly in averages vs daily exacts makes much more since and that is what has worked for me so far...which has been fairly far. lol.

so yes my goal ( keep in mind I'm only currently trying to lose 8-10lbs and I'm older than you ) is to stay with in 1200 -1500. and for me I try to keep to the lower end of that. Most days I'm actually pretty disciplined and I stay right around 1200 but a few days a week I do go over. and by weeks end my average is right were it should be.

HTH
  • jofjltncb6

So do what you want.

If you eat 1200 and feel like crap...you need to up your calories. We are all different. Do what works for you. Don't starve yourself though. If you feel like you need to eat...eat...just make it something healthy.

We may all be different...but I seriously doubt there are any circumstances in which a 6' 2" adult male should eat 1400 daily calories for an extended period of time.

Have you been tracking your bf% to ensure you aren't losing an appreciable amount of muscle?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

So do what you want.

We may all be different...but I seriously doubt there are any circumstances in which a 6' 2" adult male should eat 1400 daily calories for an extended period of time.

Have you been tracking your bf% to ensure you aren't losing an appreciable amount of muscle?

Read the post above you. Muscular catabolism is broscience.
  • jofjltncb6

So do what you want.

Read the post above you. Muscular catabolism is broscience.

*ragequits internet*