Ridiculous/laughable things I've heard.

Options
2»

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    You can only eat "clean foods" to be healthy, anything else and you will die of toxins/chemicals, etc.!!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    That how you *plan* to look after having a child will necessarily be how you *actually* look.

That how you *look* after having a child is on the Top 100 List of Things to Worry About.

That there is such a thing as "good" (and "bad") carbs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    That how you *plan* to look after having a child will necessarily be how you *actually* look.

That how you *look* after having a child is on the Top 100 List of Things to Worry About.

Yep. I'm never even having children (by my choice), and I still find that stuff disturbing and weird.

I've also heard a lot of stupid things among my own (childfree by choicers) like having kids will result in your marriage failing, going broke, ruin your career, and you'll pee a little every time you move or laugh. Yeah that stuff has happened to some moms. Not all!
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Here's a few more memorable things I've heard:

An ex once told me that brushing your teeth before going to bed is actually bad for you.
    I was told by someone I went to school with that having sex on your monthly will cause it to stop by a day or two.
    And, I was told by my ex fiancée's sister that the reason why my newborn son (at the time) cries at night because he has GERD.
    The reason why your hips aren't widening is because you're having bad sex.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Drinking water makes you fat. My host family (including a doctor) in the Republic of Georgia told me this.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Feel free to correct me on this one, I thought it was ridiculous, but I am not a medica !professional ... My husband told me that eating too much fiber will cause constipation. (My son was 'backed up' the dr said for us to increas his fiber, my husband explained why that was a bad idea)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Feel free to correct me on this one, I thought it was ridiculous, but I am not a medica !professional ... My husband told me that eating too much fiber will cause constipation. (My son was 'backed up' the dr said for us to increas his fiber, my husband explained why that was a bad idea)

To much fiber can cause constipation when you go from low fiber diet to a high one quickly. But if you increase the amount slowly, it shouldn't cause any issues.

Thanks
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Here are a few things in my lifetime I've heard and wondered why people actually believed this:

There's more, but I'll end it here for now. Now, it's your turn to share!

I got one.

Climate change is fake.

I don't really know how far ones head has to be crammed to believe that.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    your eyes will stay crossed if you cross them too often

a women's fitness magazine had a deadlift to curl move- using 3 lb dumbbells. dont we just LOVE DLing with 6 lbs?!?

that chick peas and garbanzo beans can be used to make delicious desserts, like brownies/blondies. i cant bring myself to try it.

and the worst- the US Government planned 9/11. that infuriates me more than anything.
  • hellakitties
    hellakitties Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I was young my mother told me that spilled toothpaste attracted cockroaches. So I would sneak out and squirt toothpaste onto the counter top to feed them.

Once you get over the ickiness of cockroaches, that is pretty darn adorable.

As for me, my mom used to tell me that if someone goes to bed with wet hair, they would wake up blind.
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just read MFP forums today, you'll have a lifetime worth of material.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I actually follow this one :bigsmile:
  • Nimnyn
    Nimnyn Posts: 69 Member
    Options

If you have a lot of fiber *without* enough fluids, you can cause a blockage by absorbing water in your GI tract. That's why Metamucil usually works pretty well for people, it's both things mixed together.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    I was told by someone I went to school with that having sex on your monthly will cause it to stop by a day or two.
    <snip>

Not quite this, but I've been told it will make the cramps less severe. Sorry, but if I'm cramping so bad I want to pull my uterus out, I do *not* want sex.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    <snip>

Not quite this, but I've been told it will make the cramps less severe. Sorry, but if I'm cramping so bad I want to pull my uterus out, I do *not* want sex.

It isn't necessarily the sex. The orgasm is what helps the cramps.
  • tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.....LOL

It just takes up less space but a ton of steel and a ton of feathers weighs the same, a TON.

Im pretty sure when people say this they are referring to that the same volume of muscle weighs more than the same volume of fat, not that, for example, 1 kg of muscle weighs more than 1kg of fat, and thus tis actually technically true

Although not to the extreme that people use it to excuse their massive weights :P
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    1 kg of muscle weighs more than 1kg of fat, and thus tis actually technically true

I'm pretty sure that 1 kg of anything is exactly 1 kg of that thing. Its volume is less, not its mass.
  • Fit_Lean_Priya
    Fit_Lean_Priya Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    1 kg of muscle weighs more than 1kg of fat, and thus tis actually technically true

I'm pretty sure that 1 kg of anything is exactly 1 kg of that thing. Its volume is less, not its mass.

Lol yeah, 1 kg of muscle should weigh equal to 1 kg of fat, it should take less space and give more toned look
  • impossibleBadWolf
    impossibleBadWolf Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You need a 550+ ilvl to do a flex raid.

Lolz