How Can You Stop Evening Hunger

I'd like to know how you can stop evening hunger! My goal is 1600cals a day and ive eaten 1500already for break, lunch, supper. Doing good YES but hungy and only 100cals left! What am I gonna do? Starve and be miserable? Eat and feel guilty? Go to bed? Fyi, already drank a coffee, chewed gum......

Replies

• F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    I started leaving myself a couple hundred calories at the end of the day because snacking at night i a habit that I enjoy too much to give up. I try to eat larger quantities of low calorie foods during the day: mainly vegetables. This allows me small snacks at night. I noticed since I'm eating less, I'm eating at a slower pace and taking small nibbles of snacks to make them last longer.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    OH! And I just don't allow myself to raid the kitchen looking for stuff. I sit down and plan out my snacking carefully... better to log it beforehand and stick to it than stuff my face and realize I went over by a lot. Honestly, if you're hungry... go have a 100 or so calorie snack and just subtract those calories from tomorrow's food. No point in going to bed with a hungry tummy.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    If you're truly hungry, then eat. Tomorrow, try changing some things up...like increasing protein, or delaying your first meal or a hundred other tricks people use...to make the evening easier. If it continues to be a problem, consider if your calorie level is appropriate right now. Adding a couple hundred calories to the daily limit might make your progress a little slower, but it's better than scrapping the whole thing and giving up because you couldn't adhere to the fewer calories.

Whatever you do, don't feel guilty about one day. It's all part of the process of figuring out what will work for you long-term. Keep tweaking until you find an approach that is sustainable and has you making progress towards your goal.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    eat more protein and good fats.

my calorie goal is similar to yours (1600) and i do pretty well and am never hungry. i also have a tendency to have a HUGE appetite, so me saying i'm not hungry means something :laugh: looking at your diary i can say that i would also be hungry since nothing looks particularly filling IMO

feel free to look at my diary (although the last 2 day have been thanksgivinated) to see what i eat.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    EAT
  • I tend to save my calories during the day (still eating a decent breakfast and lunch, though) and then eat pretty much what I like at a reasonable time in the evening. Are you hungry, or just not full? I eat around 6pm and sure, I'm not stuffed when I go to bed, but it doesn't distract me from sleeping ...
  • Plus you would be surprised what you can 'get' for 1-200 calories. You can eat LOTS of vegetables for that ...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,314 Member
    ^^what Jof said. :heart:
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Green tea or low-calorie hot chocolate. But changing my diet to include more protein has helped to keep my appetite down.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    I drink a lot of seltzer water 0 calorie stuff, the bubbly drinks make me feel full
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    By eating... calories are no different during the day than in the evening...so have a snack or set up your daily calorie intake so you can have an evening meal.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    I leave room in my calorie intake for post-dinner snacking. I usually eat about 300-400 calories after dinnertime.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    This ups the Na+ for the day, but if hungry at night, I will have a cup of beef broth or a dill pickle and a big glass of water. Low calories~BONUS!!! but the salty tends to curb hunger. Not sure if this helps you, but it always helps me!
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Last two days I got mad about eating after 7pm. Fortunately today I have just few things in the fridge left so even my taste buds want something my stocks are empty. Hod no idea how to get back self control so i did not do food shopping...tomorrow I go and buy just for one day and lets see what my taste in the evening will be
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Last two days I got mad about eating after 7pm. Fortunately today I have just few things in the fridge left so even my taste buds want something my stocks are empty. Hod no idea how to get back self control so i did not do food shopping...tomorrow I go and buy just for one day and lets see what my taste in the evening will be

There is nothing magical or important about 7p...or any other time on the clock. Don't beat yourself up for something meaningless.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Figure out if you're truly hunger or just crave munching on something.

If you're truly hungry, eat.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Eat dinner a bit later!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member

I eat 1/3 to 1/2 of my calories after 6pm. I don't understand why people get so hung up on a time on the clock.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Are you truly hungry or just bored and accustomed to eating too much? If you are truly hungry then eat something, just don't completely go overboard because you can't adhere to the 100 calories. Keep it reasonable.
  • Eat less during the day.
    Save more carbs for the last meal before bed.

try some anti-anxiety techniques at night.