weight training

Options
Hi,
I have only just started going to the gym and I am doing a mix of cardio and strength training (only on the machines. No free weights) My question is when I log my strength training mfp doesnt show any calories burned but the pt that got me started as well as all the forums on here say that strength is a really good way of burning cals... confused!

Replies

• j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Strength training is not realy good for burning calories, but it is good in retaining muscle mass while losing weight. Lose weight + keeping muscle = lower bodyfat percentage = leaner physique
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    strength training calories burned will depend on how much weight you are lifting relative to your strength, how much rest you take, etc.

bt if you log it as cardio MFP will give you an estimate
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    When you click on 'Cardio' type in 'Strength Training' It's in there. Obviously it's not going to be precise. I wear my heart monitor and put in my own numbers.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Strength training calories are pretty negligible, possibly your trainer meant that the more muscle you have the more you burn just being alive. You can log strength training under cardio if you really want.

Don't wear your hrm while lifting, it's not accurate for that
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options