starting out/ determining my calories

Options
Hello- In new here and just set my goal. I get the whole eating your exercise but Im confused because my bmr is higher than the amount of calories MFP is telling me to eat each day and I don't want to under eat and not lose. I checked the box for sedentary when setting my goal because I either sit at my desk all day or Im driving to meetings so not a lot of activity other than the 20 minutes of exercise Im planning to get in each day by doing t25. Does 1200 calories seem low for a 45 year old women at 146 pounds (5'7)?

thank you!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That means you set too aggressive of a weight loss goal. The less you have to lose the slower you have to go. I would guess you probably told MFP you wanted to lose 2 Lbs per week which is a pretty aggressive goal. MFP is just the calculator, you still have to supply the brains. You can also customize your goal to whatever you wish.
  • arc8706
    Options
    You might be more active than you think. I also think I'm pretty sedentary but my BMR is 1335 (I think, I know it is at least 1300), and so 1200 would be too low for me. My goal is 1580 calories. That is for losing 1 lb per week.

It seems like many people who check the "sedentary' box (along with an aggressive weight loss goal, as the previous poster stated) are always set to 1200 since that is the lowest calorie goal MFP allows. I was as well when I first set up my profile. But if you know that you require more than 1200 calories, you don't have to listen to it! Adjust activity levels/weight loss goals until you find what works for you, it could take a little trial and error.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ^^^good point about your activity level. I started out sedentary because I have a desk job but I was losing too fast. Even though you don't include exercise in your activity level, I was more active than sedentary with just my day to day and honestly, most people are.

I was really light active despite having a desk job. I have a 1 y.o. and 3 y.o. and I'm on my feet a lot when I'm at home...and even at work I'm up and down, etc.

There is a bit of trial and error involved.
  • cenright0
    cenright0 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I only set my goal for 1 pound per week. Im 46- 147 lbs and want to reach goal weight of 135. 1200 seems so low and really not enough food for me. I do plan to exercise 20 minutes a day 5 days a week and will eat those calories but Im just concerned about what MFP is telling me as a calorie suggestion. I guess I'll change my activity level to the next level up.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    1200 calories seems low for anyone! It is all about trial and error. Make sure your calories are coming from quality food, and get your exercise in.

You can't change it all in a day or a week or even a month. Keep making better choices for yourself and you will see results.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I found that an old fashioned pedometer is a good gauge on my activity level. Great that you are doing the 20 minutes of planned exercise. What about the other 23.5 hours of the day? You will be amazed at how a few extra steps add up. Extra flights of stairs, parking at a further spot and dancing around several times a day burn more calories than sitting still.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I think the 1200 calories encourages you to work out more than 20 minutes a day. Try doing things the way that MFP has it set up. The more you exercise the more calories you have to eat.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    if you only have less than 15 pounds to lose you should be setting it to .5 per week. It's a slower loss rate but it will be more sustainable. Also if you want to get another perspective use this http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ . This calculation uses % of total caloric needs for the day for loss so a safe estimate would be 10 %.
    Good luck.
  • cenright0
    Options
    thanks for all the great feedback- I changed my activity to light rather than sedentary and will up my callers based on what a few other links have said. I feel more comfortable with the 1500 level.

That being said, as I read a lot of posts on getting started I see "net calories" mentioned. Can someone explain it in simple terms. It seems to be the number I should be most concerned with according to several posts.

thanks!
  • dcordero1
    Options
    Hi! I use MFP to keep track of food/calorie intake. I use http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to help determine the amount of calories I should eat per day....I use their 7 day calorie cycle (zig zag) so my body doesn't get used to getting the same amount everyday. Sorta like varying your workouts for the same reason. Good Luck!
  • cenright0
    Options
    The zig zag menthod mentioned in your link is interesting, Ive never heard of that before. Do you feel you get better results varying your calorie intake?
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Net calories is intake calories minus exercise calories burned - so if you eat 1750 and burn 250 by going for a run, your net is 1500.