When will I start loosing?

Options
So I started MFP just over a week ago and when starting I read all the information about if you were origanolly not eating enough you might gain weight when starting the program before you start to loose. I realized I was eating almost 500 calories under what is healthy, so I didn't expect to have a big initail weight loss. So to get to my point, It's been over a week and I've been eating all my calories and exercising, and I haven't lost any weight. I haven't gained any weight......but I haven't lost any either. I was wondering if anyone has been in my position and how long it took their body to start really loosing weight. Thanks!

Replies

• xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I was kind of wondering the same thing. I'm very happy with the pound I've lost after a week, but I heard people talking about pounds just falling off after starting. (Then it gets slower.)

So yeah... Not complaining, but also curious. :smile:
  • Andieb102
    Options
    Well when I started exercising, I gained a whole lot of weight because when you build up your muscle it weighs more than fat. So when you lose fat and gain muscle, at first you may gain until your metabolism builds up and you start losing fat more quickly. Chances are, your still getting into your program and the slow burn of fat is being replaced by the build up of muscle so your not actually losing anything or gaining just yet... Give it time it will start happening. In the mean time you will feel a whole lot better by eating the better foods, and cleaning out your body of the junk which makes us overweight :)
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    The body is working all the time. Sometimes it just doesn't show on the scale. I was on a plateau for almost 3 weeks (I even went up a couple of times there!) until I finally saw a change for better this week. Especially exercise does freaky things to the scale readings (You retain more water)..

Anyway. A week is a VERY short time and the constant flux of water weight obscures the readings. For some people the scale works like clockwork but not for everybody so a trend over a long period of time is what you need to look at. Keep doing what you are doing and get back on the scale in three weeks!
  • catherine167
    Options
    It really might take a while...I started a serious regimen in April, and in the following 3 months I lost 2 pounds. But, then all of a sudden it was 7 pounds in 3 weeks. And even when I plateau, I keep exercising and watching what I eat. So now I notice these little bones that weren't poking out before that are now... don't watch the scale too close. It's not that great of a way to judge your progress, especially for women! Measurements are good too, but just work hard, and go by how you feel! Good luck!
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A week is not long enough for any long-term plan to give you real results... especially since you have so little to lose. It will take longer for you to lose a pound than it would for a heavier person, simply because there is less to lose. Keep up your workouts, be sure to eat enough, and in another two weeks or so, your metabolism will adjust and move toward that permanent weight loss that we all want.

A funny article on dieting vs. healthy lifestyle:
    http://doesthisblogmakeuslookfat.com/2008/11/13/lifestyle-versus-diet/
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and the same question. I am obese partly because I was eating 800-900 cal.day most days. At first it was REALLY hard to make myself eat 1200-1300/day, then to add exercise calories on top of it was insane. I felt like I was eating every minute of the day! That was a huge change from what I'd been doing for years and years.

I didn't have a scale and didn't weigh every day, so I don't know for sure exactly what happened the first couple of weeks. I know that my weight did go up a tad, but afer a couple of weeks of teaching my body that I really was going to feed it regularly, I did start losing.

I started 6 weeks ago and I think my ticker says I've lost 13 pounds. That's a little more than 2 pounds/week even including the couple of weeks I gained.

Keep at it. It WILL work.
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    Can only echo what the others have said.

And that article is so true, I have even shared it on fbook so that a lot of my 'dieting' friends can take a look! :laugh: (Not that they'll take any notice! lol)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    So I started MFP just over a week ago and when starting I read all the information about if you were origanolly not eating enough you might gain weight when starting the program before you start to loose. I realized I was eating almost 500 calories under what is healthy, so I didn't expect to have a big initail weight loss. So to get to my point, It's been over a week and I've been eating all my calories and exercising, and I haven't lost any weight. I haven't gained any weight......but I haven't lost any either. I was wondering if anyone has been in my position and how long it took their body to start really loosing weight. Thanks!
    With only 6lbs to lose and eating under cals your wait might be long! Eating all your cals alloted is very important. If MFP sets you at 1200 by all means fuel your body Girl! The number on the scale is only one measure of how you're doing. The tape measure never wavers it simple is what it is. The scales go up and down according to water weight etc. Have you taken your begining measurements? Also if you're working out regularly you'll start noticing a change in your clothing.

Forget the scale, it drives folks crazy jumping on it with no change, still to how you feel, and the tape measure, trust me you'll see changes!! :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Well when I started exercising, I gained a whole lot of weight because when you build up your muscle it weighs more than fat. So when you lose fat and gain muscle, at first you may gain until your metabolism builds up and you start losing fat more quickly. Chances are, your still getting into your program and the slow burn of fat is being replaced by the build up of muscle so your not actually losing anything or gaining just yet... Give it time it will start happening. In the mean time you will feel a whole lot better by eating the better foods, and cleaning out your body of the junk which makes us overweight :)
    ahhhhhhhhhh not too likely her body is already building muscle in only one week...... just saying it takes time to do that!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    ahhhhhhhhhh not too likely her body is already building muscle in only one week...... just saying it takes time to do that!

I second that about not too likely.

I also have to say, I have NEVER gone on an eating plan and NOT lost in the first week.

All this about "getting the body used to it" "building muscle" etc etc etc, the body gets used to nothing, it takes in energy via the form or food and drink and dispenses it where and when it is needed, it is a biological machine, it does not "think".

To lose weight a 3500 calorie deficit is needed to lose 1lb, perhaps the OP, after reading everything on here has taken it too heart too much and is eating at NO calorie deficit.

OP: Make sure you exercise, do not overestimate your calorie burn and do not underestimate the amount of calories you eat and drink, that can be an absolutely killer in weight loss.

You may not lose your weight fast if you have a small amount to lose, but one thing is certain - if you take in LESS calories than you use up you HAVE to lose the weight, your body will have no choice, it will use the energy, end of story.

I hasten to add, this may not happen if you have some thyroid condition or other medical problem that is associated with weight increase.
  • Andieb102
    Options
    I agree!! I don't follow the scale at all. I have been the same weight for a year; however, I have lost a LOT of inches. Sometimes your body just hits its' set point and you can't pass it. If you continue to exercise, you will lose the inches, and your jeans will feel SO much better to wear!!

I should add too: Women generally gain at least 5 lbs in water during that time of month. But when your done, it will flush out again.

1613515.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • rebel14
    rebel14 Posts: 33
    Options
    Your on the right track, we all lose or gain differently as you well know, but keep up the good work and youll see great results shortly !!! Im definitely against letting the scale dictate ones success, your doing fine and will see light at the end of the tunnel.