Hate measuring ice cream..

Options
The stupid label on the 1000 ml tub indicates nutrition facts per 100 ml.

How am I supposed to measure that?

It'd be a mess if I used a measuring cup and the scale won't help me since ice cream has different density.

I thought of emptying the tub and weighing the whole ice cream and go from there, but I realized that ice cream changes its density over time due to freezing, aka, the over running factor.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Look it up by ounces on a website. Most ice cream scoops hold 2.5 oz of icecream. If you arent sure, fill your scoop up with water and measure.

I saw on a website that there are 57 cals per oz of ice cream, which is a generic estimate
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Put the bowl you are using onto the scale first and zero it out, then scoop the ice cream in the bowl. 100ML is roughly 3.38 oz.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Put the ice cream on the scale, tare the scale and take your portion. 100ml = 100 grams = 3.5 oz. Don't over think the serving size.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Yep. Weight it
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    One half cup is a serving.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Go to Google.com, type "unit converter" and it should bring up their converter. Change the drop down from Temperature to Volume, and then select Milliliters for one of the fields, and choose what you want it converted to (cup, oz).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The stupid label on the 1000 ml tub indicates nutrition facts per 100 ml.

How am I supposed to measure that?

It'd be a mess if I used a measuring cup and the scale won't help me since ice cream has different density.

I thought of emptying the tub and weighing the whole ice cream and go from there, but I realized that ice cream changes its density over time due to freezing, aka, the over running factor.

Any suggestions?

Half a cup is usually a serving size on my ice creams. I eat it out of the measuring cup sometimes when I am concerned about mess. :flowerforyou:
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Dude just weigh your ice cream to 1/2 cup which is 4 oz!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh my food and I had this issue too. I didn't want to guess as some ice creams are heavier than others. So I weighed a empty container and then weighed a full one and did the math. My chocolate frozen yogurt is 60 grams per half cup. I think it was like 59. Something, but I rounded it off.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    weigh it in grams.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    weigh it in grams.
    this
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

4 fluid oz. Solid foods aren't going to be the same as liquids. Also the density matters. Half a cup of my every day ice cream is 62 grams. Half a cup of my favorite gelato is 104 grams.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Also, I'm not a scientist but isn't the density a non-issue when weighing? Isn't it that assuming you had a large enough container to weigh it in and for it to melt in, it would weigh the same amount when you scooped it in frozen as it did hours later when it was melted and occupying more space in that container?

Also, I would guess that anyone giving a "cups" measurement or volume measurement for ice cream means it in it's frozen (and more dense) state as that's how it's normally consumed.

That concludes today's episode of M.C.D. ventures into science.

science+is+a+girl+thing.png
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

4 fluid oz. Solid foods aren't going to be the same as liquids. Also the density matters. Half a cup of my every day ice cream is 62 grams. Half a cup of my favorite gelato is 104 grams.

Oh shoot! So now I have to melt it measure it and refreeze it?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Also, I'm not a scientist but isn't the density a noniissue when weighing? Isn't it that assuming you had a large enough container to weigh it in and for it to melt in, it would weigh the same amount when you scooped it in frozen as it did hours later when it was melted and occupying more space in that container?

Also, I would guess that anyone giving a "cups" measurement or volume measurement for ice cream means it in it's frozen (and more dense) state as that's how it's normally consumed.

Yes. agreed. Stop majoring in the minors, nothing to fret over OP
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you have a scale and are really desperate to find out, you can get a lot of bowls/cups to put to hold however many svgs the container has and just start adding about 4 oz for each svg and just weigh them all and keep adding/removing ice cream from each bowl until they're all equal weight...if you're that desperate. I don't eat ice cream enough to flip out about it. This is also why I like the smaller containers of ice cream.
    Oh shoot! So now I have to melt it measure it and refreeze it?
    My initial post was going to include something about melting the ice cream, but not everyone eats their ice cream like me. I prefer it melted. Now, I want some ice cream. Thanks!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Also, I'm not a scientist but isn't the density a noniissue when weighing? Isn't it that assuming you had a large enough container to weigh it in and for it to melt in, it would weigh the same amount when you scooped it in frozen as it did hours later when it was melted and occupying more space in that container?

Yes. agreed. Stop majoring in the minors, nothing to fret over OP

Um, I am so flattered that you agreed with me due to your cool username and fit pro pic, Mr. Thighs. Yes I creeped. I was like "who is this guy?" and then I was like Dayyumm! Now THAT's a guy who doesn't skip legs day.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You mean I've been doing it wrong this whole time? I take a bowl and put it on my scale...zero it out. Then, I put whatever gram amount for a serving size in the bowl...and eat it.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I guess I could understand the concern if you were eating ice cream every day. Specific gravity, ML., 1/2 cup this 3.38 oz. that tare weight and everything else. But my God man. If its the weekend and you want to treat yourself to an ice cream just frigging have a sensible serving of ice cream. Then stay away from it until next weekend
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What ice cream only has ml on the label? None that I have seen, and I have seen a lot.

Also, based on your prior posts, you appear to be spending an inordinate amount of time fretting over this type of thing. You are 19 and bulking.